Tone circuit pots log or lin?

Started by clubsprint, January 05, 2009, 11:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clubsprint

Can someone please tell me if they think the pots in the below circuit should be log or lin.
There is nothing in the attached documentation.

http://sound.westhost.com/p30a_f6.gif

GibsonGM

I'm not sure either, but since it's not specified I'd try out linear (B) taper pots or sliders.  I'd think they'd be clear if it was audio taper...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Mark Hammer

Depends on what type of tone circuit. In this case, they are boost/cut type so the "middle" has to be identifiable.  That necessitates a linear pot where the resistance on each side of the wiper is equivalent when the wiper is set to midpoint.  If we were talking about a fender/Marshall-type tonestack, then log might be advisable for some controls since they are not strictly boost/cut.

Michael Weidenauer

To Gibson's reply:
A is log and B is lin with most American and Japanese manufacturers, but  European companies code their pots with A for lin and B for log!
So if you're not sure, just  use your DMM.

R.G.

Quote from: clubsprint on January 05, 2009, 11:10:36 PM

Can someone please tell me if they think the pots in the below circuit should be log or lin.
There is nothing in the attached documentation.

http://sound.westhost.com/p30a_f6.gif
In that circuit, Vr1-3 are definitely linear. That's the stock "Graphic EQ" circuit with inductors implemented by Gyrators. I don't know about Vr4, but I'd try linear first.

The simulated inductance is linearly proportional to Vr4; however, the frequency of the "L"C circuit is proportional to the square root of either component. Actually, you probably want a square-law pot, and I don't know of any commercial square law pots. You could try tinkering with tapering resistors on that one. Or, since the range of frequency is actually quite constricted, just leave it linear.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.