Static wrap while shipping pedals? ebayer claims Ibanez pedal dead

Started by sjaltenb, January 06, 2009, 06:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjaltenb

Hello,

I had a guy buy my DE-7 echo/delay off ebay. I have had 3 of these now, all 2nd hand and no problems. He said he wanted it shipped with antistatic wrap, UPS didnt have any, so i didnt.

anyway he claims that this is the 4th one he's bought that Ibanez pedals are prone to this and that the static caused it to be screwed up and it wont turn off, only stays on with background noise.

is there ANY way this is possible?!?! I have never heard of anything like this. He claims this is common with ibanez pedals.

Thoughts? I just dont see how this is possible... i mean, its in the enclosure why would shipping do this?

theehman

I've had quite a few Ibanez pedals shipped to me for repair that didn't have that problem when I shipped it back the customer.  I think they're either flaky or living somewhere with high EMF or something.
Ron Neely II
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs

Sir H C

I can not imagine that Ibanez would make pedals that susceptable to ESD, to do so would be insane, and in general if the package is sealed, you don't get that much of a chance of an ESD strike.  There comes a time when it is the buyer not the pedal, and this is one of those times, then again, I guess you could google Ibanez ESD and see if there is a known problem.

chillhuman

Quote from: sjaltenb on January 06, 2009, 06:51:49 PM
Hello,

I had a guy buy my DE-7 echo/delay off ebay. I have had 3 of these now, all 2nd hand and no problems. He said he wanted it shipped with antistatic wrap, UPS didnt have any, so i didnt.

anyway he claims that this is the 4th one he's bought that Ibanez pedals are prone to this and that the static caused it to be screwed up and it wont turn off, only stays on with background noise.

is there ANY way this is possible?!?! I have never heard of anything like this. He claims this is common with ibanez pedals.

Thoughts? I just dont see how this is possible... i mean, its in the enclosure why would shipping do this?
It's a "send me the good pedal, and once I get it I will complain and send a different broken one back" scam most likely. A big ol' "eff you" is in order.

tackleberry

Funny Ive never bought a new pedal with static wrap so must not be an issue. Sounds like hes trying to pull something or he did something to it like wrong power supply.

earthtonesaudio

George Giblet

If you have a metal pedal box, without any plugs connected to it, the box itself performs the same function as the antistatic packaging.

I'd be thinking dodgy soldering on the larger IC's - very common problem for flaky behaviour.

cheeb

I say do something on the interior so that you know it's your pedal if he does try to send it back. Like a blue cap in an inconspicuous spot or something.

R.G.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Processaurus

4 specifically ibanez pedals dead from static?  I think it's a scam too.  But a word to the wise: You should however keep always all pedals in anti-static bags when they're used, but not because of static, but that way the government can't steal your tone with satalites.

newfish

+1 on govt. tone-stealers.  They need all the mojo they can get right now.

Sounds like a scam though.  Send 'em a big stick next time.
Happiness is a warm etchant bath.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I think Tackleberry is right, when he says "wrong power supply".
It wouldn't be the first time someone has fried two pedals with a bad power supply (why am I  :icon_redface: ?) but FOUR? someone please shoot him..

oldschoolanalog

Did you check the buyers feedback?
This could be very revealing.
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

Potatoolay

its either x100 that its a scam

or

x100 that this guys an idiot

most likely both.

R.G.

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave) on January 07, 2009, 08:51:26 AM
I think Tackleberry is right, when he says "wrong power supply".
It wouldn't be the first time someone has fried two pedals with a bad power supply (why am I  :icon_redface: ?) but FOUR? someone please shoot him..
Interesting point. If the guy is using a 9V*AC* power supply, it will *reliably* kill every pedal with reverse-diode polarity protection he plugs in.

I'm with you Paul - if it's the power supply, four is excessive, even for guitar players.   :icon_biggrin:

I think a scam is likely though, as a 9Vac power supply would kill even pedals shipped in antistatic bags.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

petemoore

The custormer is always right.
  Now all you have to do is convince the demanding person that the demands are not reasonable, or meet them.
  Sound rediculous and illogical though, the metal case should do that static guard trick.
  First we've heard of it I think, and it's been so long now that things like this don't wash well.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

DougH

I would suggest a clearly indicated  "all sales final- no returns" policy in the future. My wife was selling some books and got the "I never got it in the mail" response from one customer. It's always the same - "we were on vacation when it was sent" or "I listed the wrong address by mistake" yada yada... It wasn't much money and she was trying to build feedback so she gave a refund- that time... You live & learn with auction sites though. And Ebay is making it harder all the time for sellers to be treated fairly.

I'm getting ready to sell a few items and I may add a clause for "not responsible for buyer not having their shit together- if item not shipped, any complications will cancel the deal - if item shipped, any complications are buyer's responsibility..." :icon_wink: :icon_wink:
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

Sir H C

Quote from: oldschoolanalog on January 07, 2009, 09:31:27 AM

Sellers can't leave negative feedback anymore.

earthtonesaudio

Quote from: Sir H C on January 07, 2009, 10:09:07 AM
Quote from: oldschoolanalog on January 07, 2009, 09:31:27 AM

Sellers can't leave negative feedback anymore.

...in other words, conditions are ripe for scams.

tackleberry

I havent had any issues selling on ebay, yet. But yea now that they have this new buyer feedback of something good to say or nothing at all is garbage. But is shocking how much this wrong adapter thing comes up. Seems people dont bother to look at their adapters or boxes to see whats what. So long as it has the jack on the end its cool. I look at the threads on ultimate guitar and its amazing how many people try to use 18v adapters with 9v pedals or playstation adapters. Or those notoriously reliable walmart multivoltage ones, I know the one I have laying around you have to set it to 3v to get 9v. But yea you would have to be pretty dumb to fry 4 pedals and not suspect something your doing is wrong. If he hasnt done the feedback your pretty much at his mercy.