Removing copper from etchant solution?

Started by earthtonesaudio, January 09, 2009, 08:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

earthtonesaudio

The only thing I've found so far (just started looking) was to use spruce sawdust  :icon_eek: to remove copper from an aqueous solution.  Anyone know of a way to remove copper from used etchant (either ferric chloride or cupric chloride)?

oskar

with electrolysis?
Two electrodes, really low voltage <1V and good ventilation. The Cu+2 ions should be heading for the minus pole ( a cu-plate/rod ), and the negative ions (Cl-...) will head for the positive ( carbon/platina... something is less ( or more, don't remember) electronegative than Cu )

EDIT! I don't know how safe this is. I've only done electrolysis with known solutions in classroom situation. Also, you could have other ions that will make a run for the negative pole before the Cu...

oskar

David

Quote from: earthtonesaudio on January 09, 2009, 08:50:45 AM
The only thing I've found so far (just started looking) was to use spruce sawdust  :icon_eek: to remove copper from an aqueous solution.  Anyone know of a way to remove copper from used etchant (either ferric chloride or cupric chloride)?

This question caused a flashback from a college chemistry class.  Thanks a lot!  I hated that class...   :icon_mrgreen:
However, the thought might be sound.  I seem to recall something about a substance called a "chelate" that might be a step in the right direction.

MarcoMike

regarding Cu2Cl2 electrolysis works just fine... you can use a graphite electrode as + and copper (or more noble) for -
this way you recover the Cu at the cathode and have a couple of reactions at the anode: evolution of Cl2 and oxidation of Cu1+ to Cu2+.... of course the evolution of Cl2 is bad, as: 1- it is toxic. 2- the solution after the process will lack Cl2, which is part of the etching power of CuCl2 and FeCl3. 3-chlorine is in a oxidized state, so you are wasting energy... the best would be working in a sealed "cell", so the produced Cl2 can chemically oxidize Cu1+ to Cu2+, but back to point 1, this is kind of dangerous.

cheap solution: in the "environment" the stable form of Cu is 2+, cu1+ will turn to 2+ just by air-oxidation... this results in the increase of cu2+ so you should diluite ir at one point. and add H+ (HCl) both because the total volume is increased and because the air oxidation "eats" H+...

sorry I wrote in a hurry, but funnily I have to go and give private lessons of chemistry now ;)
Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible.

earthtonesaudio

Thanks for the ideas so far!  I should say I'm much more interested in the non-toxic and less dangerous methods...  8)

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Surely adding an excess of sodium carbonate (washing soda) or sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) will precipitate the copper as the insoluble carbonate. (add the carb/bicarb slowly, it will fizz.)

MarcoMike

yes, but it will also spoil the etching solution...
Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible.