Smallbear LEDs

Started by musiclikscreams, January 09, 2009, 04:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

musiclikscreams

got some high intensity LEDs from Smallbear.  how much resistance should i put behind em?

ianmgull

Without having a datasheet it's hard to give specifics, but 4.7k is usually a good starting point.

Less resistance=brighter LED.

kurtlives

I always use 16K with my 5mm Water Clear High Brightness LEDs from SME.

Pretty bright but not so much that my batteries are shot after 20min.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

Mike Burgundy

With new LEDs I find a real easy fix is hooking up a 4k7 with a 10K linear pot and the LED, all with alligator clip leads, and adjust to taste. Measure the pot's set resistance (don't forget to add the resistor value) and done. Takes less than a minute, and prevents surprises.
hih

Fuzzy-Train

If you're using a PS you can use 4.7k and make them really nice and bright. This value might make them too bright for some people (really bright in fact... but I like that) So if you want them darker, or are running with a battery you should increase the values.
THERE IS NO SIG.

The user formerly known as NoNothing.

Stuff I built!
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w106/Cpt_sergeant/?start=allRandom

musiclikscreams

i'm gonna mostly rock a power supply.  also i'm gonna be doin the whole plexiglass light emitting border thing so i think i want it pretty bright

Barcode80

i rarely use above a 2.7 k even on superbright water clear LEDs. I like 'em BRIGHT  :icon_cool:

Timebutt

I use 1,5K on my ultrabright 5mm LED's from Banzai, yes they do light up a dark room but that's what blue LED's are for right? ;)
Completed Projects: Gus Smalley Booster, Modded Russian Big Muff, Orange Squeezer, BYOC Vibrato, Phase 90