abundance of 10k and 100k 9mm pots - what to build?

Started by burdt, January 09, 2009, 05:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burdt

i have an abundance of 100k and 10k 9mm pots i removed from a broken tascam four track.  any ideas on a project i could build?  I'd like to stuff it into a LMB/Heeger 772 enclosure, which is about the size of a 1590A, just a bit wider and a bit shorter.  I was thinking of building a fuzz face or a Trotzky OD but the pot values are only half right. 

i could always build a potless project like a green ringer or a buffer but i feel like taking on a challenge.

any ideas?
HUBRIS

hairyandy

Build a Rangemaster.  1-10K pot is all you need and it'll fit fine...

Andy
Andy Harrison
It's all about signal flow...
Hairyandy's Layout Gallery

Boogdish

burdt

Quote from: Boogdish on January 09, 2009, 08:17:55 PM
build an EQ pedal. 

the boss ge-7 schem in the archive states that it uses a bunch of 10k's.  i'll keep this in mind.  i'm thinking of building a bmp, considering i have a bunch of 100ks.  but i already have a big muff. i was trying to stay out of the fuzz/disto realm, since i've built/modded a couple of these already. 

HUBRIS

Nitefly182

You can use 100k pots in tim escobedo's utility boost. Its bright and has some grit for making clean tones sound great and its great for goosing other stuff too.

searoad

chicago_mike

Ill buy some 10K's off ya... :)

they work for the Brasmaster.

Br4d13y

build like dano's tufnel and slap as many rangemasters together as possible, just to see how loud you can make it ;)
freedom is the freedom to say 2+2=4

burdt

Quote from: chicago_mike on January 09, 2009, 10:09:50 PM
Ill buy some 10K's off ya... :)

they work for the Brasmaster.

well, if anyone else is interested i'll be willing to sell or trade.  i'll post an inventory.  i desoldered all of these pots without counting and it turns out i have 35!!!  they are distributed as such:

8 10KA
8 10KB
4 10KZD (Reverse Audio, i believe)
8 100KB
4 200KC Stereo
3 10KA Stereo

There's one more pot i haven't desoldered, i believe that one is a 15KB Stereo. 

These are all long shaft 9mm.  Two of them have the shaft shortened because i intended to put them in a fuzz face but i was never able to figure out how to convert a 10k pot into a 1k pot without killing the taper.

By the way, usually, what kind of a taper is a C taper? --found the answer, usually its antilog.     
HUBRIS

chicago_mike

What would you be looking for in a trade for a few 10K pots?

burdt

i dunno, i'm going crazy trying to decide what to build next.  do you have any interesting ICs that might send me spinning in the right direction?
HUBRIS

chicago_mike

tlo72/74's

bbd chips...

cd4066/69's

12ax7's

a couple germanium trannies..2sa12's

stuffis like that

burdt

HUBRIS

ItZaLLgOOd

The Guv'nor layout I saw over at Tonepad uses 3 10k's and 2 100k's.  I haven't heard one but it looks fun.
Lifes to short for cheap beer

burdt

Quote from: ItZaLLgOOd on January 12, 2009, 09:28:50 AM
The Guv'nor layout I saw over at Tonepad uses 3 10k's and 2 100k's.  I haven't heard one but it looks fun.

i'm prototyping this right now.  will using a TL082 instead of a TL072 make a huge difference?  oh, and some of the cap values i don't have so i'll be substituting the closest match i can find.  either a recipe for disaster or magic. 
HUBRIS

burdt

it worked.  i used a bunch of substitutions.  and i managed to burn up 3 ics.  i liked it.  now i have to take the time to etch a board and do this "properly."
HUBRIS

ItZaLLgOOd

I am going to build a Guv'nor this weekend.  I'll have to sub the 0.22 uf's for 0.15 uf's because the 022's that I have are huge and won't fit on the board.  What sub's did you make? Were the results acceptable?
Lifes to short for cheap beer

burdt

the biggest subs were these:

101 instead of a 121 ceramic cap
green LEDs instead of red

and probably the most important substitution:

lm358 (if i remember correctly, i'm at work now) instead of the TL072

i'm going to purchase some TL072s this week and i'll tell you if they make a marked tonal difference.  maybe some red LEDs too.  mostly i built this to prove to myself that i'm getting better a breadboarding from a schematic.  i still used the circuit layout from tonepad as a guide, but one of these days i hope i can build something straight from the schematic. 

by the way, GGG has the same layout with some of their own minor substitutions.  its practically the same layout with the addition of a diode clipping/led clipping switch.  you can compare them here:

http://www.tonepad.com/project.asp?id=57
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=99&Itemid=26

HUBRIS