Danelectro French Toast Re-housing problem (switch issue... should simple..)

Started by fattcamp, January 13, 2009, 06:43:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowell

Processaurus,
        Ok I tried that it's still oscillating.  I also realized that my pin #s were wrong in my previous post.  Pins 9, 10, 11 are all hardwired via 1 trace.  So I disconnected ONLY pin-11 of the 4053 and hardwired it to pin-14 which is connected via a trace to pin-16.  Still oscillating.  Could the issue now be that I have the original switch removed?  I figured with the switch out it should be fine but maybe not.

lowell

duh... forgot to ground one of the 2 pcb's.  Ran ground wire from bottom of LEVEL knob and viola!

Processaurus

Hmm, weird that it works, I took a peek at a busted french toast here and it is using a different analog switch of the 3 in the 4053 package than the schematic for the pepperoni phaser, either because danelectro used different boards or the person who drew it changed it to a different part.  The french toast uses switch C, and the pepperoni schematic uses switch A.  We were hijacking the wrong switch.  To play it safe, keep the 3 separate analog switches control lines, pins 9, 10, and 11 connected together, and cut the trace between the group of them and the 4013 flip flop with an exacto knife.  Then connect the 9,10,11 group to +9v with a wire (pin 16 is still an easy place to get it).  That should do it, because it is flipping all 3 of the SPDT analog switches to the "on" position permanently.

The pinout of the 4053 is on page 2 of the datasheet:
http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/CD%2FCD4052BC.pdf

lowell

Oh ok right on, I think I'll just leave it for now as it works great.

bluesjammin

needing some help with this one so i tht id use this existing thread...

i am attempting to do the same rehousing job of the french toast but f@#kn struggling!.
I have replaced original vol and drive pots with 50k log pots  and 50k linear for the tone. When i play through the pedal the volume and drive pots are always up at least halfway and i cannot back either of them all the way down???
what pots did u replace the old ones with? have i got the right ones and have another issue i am not aware about???

i am super newb so would appreciate any help i can get.
cheers.

bluesjammin

bluesjammin

Renegadrian

how to rehouse the french toast (and other dano effects)
remove all the pots-switches-leds-jacks
only two pcboards remain
the board attached with the footswitch is useless and should be removed (it's for bypassing purposes)
next step is to connect the new pots(metallic),switches,that are found on the main board
the 2 boards are connected by some cables
blue=send
green=9V
yellow=ground
orange=no bypass send
red=return
brown=led control

for the french toast remove brown and orange so that we are left with the in,out,9v,ground wires

digging this old thread out as I have a problem myself with a french toast - I left out the switching board and connected the in out 9v and grd as indicated above - I tried to follow what others did, used the 4 pins with the right colors, but...the pedal doesn't work as it should, it makes fregging crazy noises, too much noise it's unusable. Level pot doesn't silence the pedal as a normal volume would do. EQ seems to work in the correct way. dist pot is too much gain. I see that on the switching board there are other components between in and out jacks and the blue and red wires. I guess some of them are part of the circuit and not of the switching, but I have problems following the pcb and figure what makes the pedal work perfectly...anyone has some clues?!
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

Renegadrian

didn't remember to update my post - I forgot to connect all ground points, did that and the pedals sounds as it's intended to be.
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!