EH Big Muff Russian switch

Started by gutsofgold, January 13, 2009, 11:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gutsofgold

Any info on those giant switches on the green russian muffs?

Are they just DPDT or 3PDT but with a big chrome knob on it?

theehman

Ron Neely II
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs

bumblebee

They are the coolest looking switches around IMO, I love the look of it on my green sovtek muff.

ZiggyZipgun

I'm pretty sure Small Bear sells the switch, but not the knob.  They carry replacements for just about all of the oddball EHX switches.

bumblebee

They sell the sovtek switch for one version muff, there's actually three versions of the sovtek switch and only two are compatible with each other.

ZiggyZipgun

The Russian ones were built using surplus military parts, or so I've heard, and there are places that still sell surplus Soviet military electronics - a friend of mine just bought a box of 18 Nixie tubes (neon numerical indicators, basically early LEDs) made in 1977, still in the box, $14 from Russia.  Their entire economy was built around manufacturing electronics and machinery for many years, so there is still a lot of New Old Stock.

bumblebee

Yeah but how in hell do we find it all, let alone a specific version of a specific switch?!?!?!?!?!?!

gutsofgold

Ok I got a chance to open the thing up and the swtich is a giant tan colored box. Looks like a DPDT but with an additional pole in the middle with a resistor coming off it. I'll have to get you gutys a picture of it. The swtich can be turned on but it wont stay engaged so you can still use it as long as you keep your foot on it.

While I get pics of this thing.. any tips on getting the big old silver knob off?

irnmadn88

If it is anything like this one... I imagine it might have something to do with the the slots on the side of the footswitch and the lock washer on the other side of the plate above the brown box bit... (just so happens my Big Muff quit working today...  :icon_evil: )

bumblebee

The switch in that pic is the first version, its not compatible with the bracket mounted version smallbear sells.
You can mount the DPDT part of the smallbear switch but yuy cant mount the above switch ferrule?(the silver bit on top that surrounds the button) with it because this first version screws directly to the switch and that's what holds it to the chassis.
This is the same as the switch in mine too, i wanted a replacement switch as a backup but i cant find the first version anywhere.

BTW, them two extra lugs on the sovtek switch, the ones that the resistor is soldered too have nothing to do with the actual DPDT part of the switch, its just an ordinary DPDT. They are merely something to mount the LED resistor to.

Also, the silver button should just pull off.

theehman

Ron Neely II
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs

bumblebee

Ron, I'd be happy to take that switch off your hands if you still have it!
PM me if you do!
BTW, I'm Ned from EHX.

gutsofgold

Yup thats what I need! As fas as I can tell it's a 1st gen that I am working on. The outer silver lug has those two indents that seems to be for a wrench to unscrew it?

bumblebee

BTW, the 6 lugs on the sovtek DPDT don't correspond to an ordinary one, I drew a wiring diagram showing how you wire one, I'll upload it soon as my computer stops being slow as hell for some reason.

OK here it is: (note: This is for true bypass only.It has to be wired like this or the button wont be depressed when the effect is on, it will be up instead, also note the center lugs are on the bottom!)

gutsofgold

perfect! now.. anyone have a source for the first gen switch?  :icon_cool:

bumblebee

I too would like to know of a source for the 1st switches!
You can use the second style switch providing you get the whole lot, the DPDT and the silver ferrule that goes around the button. I'm after either TBH!