News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

TL072

Started by 23, January 17, 2009, 07:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

what pedals can be made from this ic  TL072, mainly looking for od and distortion got 2 of em?

thanks
put it together, now take it apart

cloudscapes

a RAT I think

the tl072 is a dual opamp and is very common in circuits. it's rare that you won't find a circuit more complex than fuzz or boost that doesn't use a dual opamp.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

R O Tiree

...you fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way...

I read some people trying them in tubescreamers? anyone try this?

oskar

Actually you can make just about any pedal with the TL072 ( including the rat...   :)   )
In the end it's just a matter of taste what OP-amp you choose.

Renegadrian

Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

Captainobvious99

Arons Shaka 5 uses the TL072. Also, the Geofex Zombie Chorus.

oldrocker

yeeshkul

CynicalMan

oldrocker

Blues Breaker
TS 808
Op amp Big Muff
Voodoo Lab OD [My favorite]
[ROG] Mockman 2.0
BOSS SD-1
[J.H.] Omni Drive
[J.H.] Crash Sync
Op amp Muff Fuzz
Blue Clipper [Least favorite]
These are the ones I can think of off hand.  I'm know there are many others. There are many great non-distortion effects that can be made using this ic. 
Auto wahs
Compressors
Phasors
Bit crusher simulators
The choices are staggering.

wampcat1

it's kind of like asking what sandwiches can a person make with white bread...

yeeshkul

Quote from: wampcat1 on January 18, 2009, 10:46:04 AM
it's kind of like asking what sandwiches can a person make with white bread...

;D ;D ;D ;D

ah ha ha ha ha ha funny wamp.........Im not very versed on IC's  :icon_evil:
thanks everyone..................

liquids

I'm a fan of the sound of this op amp.  It's a good starting point for circuits not designed with, say, a 4558 in mind. 

With very few op-amp circuits under my belt (keep this in mind), It seems like it's cleaner/less 'effected' in it's reproduction of sound, so it's useful as a buffer, etc, on up.  It can be used in nearly anything that needs a standard op amp.  But, keep in mind that if you're building an overdrive with filtering 'tweaked' around the sound of a lo-fi op-amp, it may be an improvement, and it may sound 'worse,' and need the filtering to be re-tweaked by ear.  The end result may be more pleasing than the stock schematic, though, depending on what you're looking for...

That being said, I believe the Marshall bluesbreaker utilizes a TL072 'stock,' and Dave Barber's LTD silver sounded great to me with one, too...friendly to clear, low gain overdrives, friendly to filtering... They also seemed friendlier than many other op amps to hot hot bridge humbucker, to me.  YMMV.

I've read elsewhere that an LM353 is considered a step up in reproduction over the TL072 though...any thoughts there?
Breadboard it!