'74 Vintage Phase 90

Started by projectx102, January 18, 2009, 01:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

projectx102

Hey guys,I just picked up an new '74 Vintage Phase 90 from Dunlop and would like to add a 9v power jack to it so I can use it with my PP2+ . I hear that it is necessary to true bypass this pedal as well in order to add the jack.I don't need an LED with this one.Anyone have a diagram for these mods?

analogmike

You can add the power jack without true bypassing it. Our website confused you because we put the labor charge in the true bypass option, which most people get. So you have to pay for that then you can add the optional power jack on our site.

Good luck!
DIY has unpleasant realities, such as that an operating soldering iron has two ends differing markedly in the degree of comfort with which they can be grasped. - J. Smith

mike  ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~   vintage guitar effects

http://www.analogman.com

DougH

Okay, I just gotta ask...

Why would you mod a "vintage reissue" piece for LED and true bypass?!? I thought the point of the exercise was that this was built *exactly* like the '74 model down to the bolts and screws - warts and all. Is there a good resale value for "reproductions" like this? Are they collectible? If so, why jeopardize that?

It seems like it would be simpler and less expensive to get the current phase 90 model, pull the 22k in the feedback loop, mod for true bypass if you wish, and call it a day. Or build the Tonepad clone, etc...

I'm just curious what the thought process is here.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

projectx102

The thought process is that:
1. It's my pedal.
2. I love the sound and IMHO it's the best sounding phaser on the market.I do not like the sound off the other reissues even with the mods.They are not the same.
3. I am a player not a collector and there are plenty more being made.This one is staying in my rig.
4. I would like to put a 9v jack on to use it in my pedal rack with a Pedal Power 2+ so that I don't have to pull it out of the rack to change the battery and pull the cable out everytime I'm finished using it

Are those good enough reasons for you?
If you don't want to help then you know what to do next.I came asking here because I thought there was a pretty cool community here.

DougH

projectx102

Quote from: DougH on January 19, 2009, 06:25:04 PM
Cool. :icon_cool:

Just asking. :icon_wink:
LOL!! Ok, I guess that was a monumental overreaction on my part.Sorry about that bro!

Ice-9

It should be very easy to add a psu socket. There are 2 ways of doing this, first way would be the normal way and add the socket so that it switches between psu and battery. Or secondly if its going to be a permament fixture in your pedalboard then you could find a place to add the psu socket in the case , drill the case and mount the socket, remove the battery cable and wire the psu socket to the terminals you removed the battery leads from. This of course leaves the pedal psu power only, but also easily reversible at a later date.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

Iron Code Monkey

If I remember correctly the 1Spot came with an adaptor to go from 2.1mm to 9V plug. Maybe a plug like that would be easier than soldering a power jack in? just food for thought.

~arph

Buy a zvex power plate... or make one yourself..

DougH

Quote from: Iron Code Monkey on January 20, 2009, 09:27:10 AM
If I remember correctly the 1Spot came with an adaptor to go from 2.1mm to 9V plug. Maybe a plug like that would be easier than soldering a power jack in? just food for thought.

That will work but you will need to cut a notch or etc to provide a place for the wire to run through the enclosure. Still easier than installing a jack though.

analogmike

Quote from: DougH on January 19, 2009, 09:28:33 AM

Why would you mod a "vintage reissue" piece for LED and true bypass?!? I thought the point of the exercise was that this was built *exactly* like the '74 model down to the bolts and screws - warts and all. Is there a good resale value for "reproductions" like this? Are they collectible? If so, why jeopardize that?

It seems like it would be simpler and less expensive to get the current phase 90 model, pull the 22k in the feedback loop, mod for true bypass if you wish, and call it a day. Or build the Tonepad clone, etc...

The current Phase90 is nothing like these, these reissues are hand wired so you CAn mod them and they are not disposeable, like the old ones they use no proprietary parts, any broken part can be replaced at Small Bear. And there is no way to make the normal ones sound like the old version, the feedback resistor "script mod" floating around there is not going to help. You could build one, but the time to find the parts and build a one-off pedal costs a lot more than letting Dunlop do it, that's what mass production is about :)

have fun!
DIY has unpleasant realities, such as that an operating soldering iron has two ends differing markedly in the degree of comfort with which they can be grasped. - J. Smith

mike  ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~   vintage guitar effects

http://www.analogman.com

DougH

I understand the problem with modding the new version with surface mount components and etc. I'd like to hear a description of how the '74 differs from a new "standard model"  without the feedback loop, soundwise. I've seen/heard some clips of the '74 and AFAIC the Tonepad P90 I built without the feedback loop nails the sound (plus going by what I remember of the P90 sound when they first came out in the 70's...).

R.G.

Quote from: Iron Code Monkey on January 20, 2009, 09:27:10 AM
The 1SPOT also has an adapter that ends in a battery clip just for old effects that have no adapter jack.  :icon_biggrin:
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

projectx102

I got it done and it rocks! God, I love this pedal.

projectx102

Quote from: analogmike on January 20, 2009, 01:33:04 PM
Quote from: DougH on January 19, 2009, 09:28:33 AM

The current Phase90 is nothing like these, these reissues are hand wired so you CAn mod them and they are not disposeable, like the old ones they use no proprietary parts, any broken part can be replaced at Small Bear. And there is no way to make the normal ones sound like the old version, the feedback resistor "script mod" floating around there is not going to help. You could build one, but the time to find the parts and build a one-off pedal costs a lot more than letting Dunlop do it, that's what mass production is about :)

have fun!
Bingo! These just have "the" sound.I recently had a real '74 and I can not tell the difference between this one and the old one.There was something missing with all of the others including the block logo with script mods and the EVH with the script button engaged.I haven't tried the Script logo reissue from the custom shop but I've read that one is identical to the EVH without the striped paintjob and the script button.They just don't get the sound of the '74 RI.

DougH

QuoteBingo! These just have "the" sound.I recently had a real '74 and I can not tell the difference between this one and the old one.

Cool! What is "the sound"??

Glad you got it working! :icon_wink: