Photocells???

Started by NumBass, January 19, 2009, 06:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NumBass

how exactly would you use photocells in a DIY stompbox?

sevenisthenumber

good question.

Univibes use them inside to read the pulse of the light bulb.

Ive used them in place of resistors and mounted them on the outside of a box so that light could cause an audible effect on a circuit.

Im sure there are lots of others!!!

NumBass

oh...thats cool.  Do they gain resistance with more light, or how exactly do  they work (if u kno)??      and do u think i could surround one with different LEDs that blink with different tones (not sure if that is possible) and create a CrAzY sOuNd???   <haha ha

sevenisthenumber

earthtonesaudio

More light=less resistance, different types are more sensitive to different wavelengths of light.

NumBass

thanks much  seven, that was helpful.

sevenisthenumber

no problem! let us know if you do somethin cool with one!

oldrocker

Tim E.'s Ugly Face
J.H. Easy Vibe [Univibe Phaser]
J.H. Flatine [Compressor]
DOD 280 Compressor
A few that I can think of at the moment.  Yes there are a sh@t load of others.  I used one in a Colorsound Wah pedal that I installed in my wifes old sewing machine pedal.

bumblebee

I put one in a feedback loop so you could use your foot over it like a wah, controlling the amount of insaneness.

shadowmaster

Used in phasers like this...

~arph

Hey that's cool, first time I've seen flat LED's used like that in a phaser.. nice. What phaser is it? polyphase?

shadowmaster

Quote from: ~arph on January 21, 2009, 09:38:22 AM
Hey that's cool, first time I've seen flat LED's used like that in a phaser.. nice. What phaser is it? polyphase?

It's Dann Green's Phaseur Fleur. A fantastic phaser by the way.

petemoore

Pretty dern slick !
 I've seen 'em dwelling under a 'hanging blanket' [Morley], when you push your foot down, pull the foot treadle back and the blanket begins to increasingly reveal: the Photoemitter to the Photosensative element.
 Mental experiments with discs with various shaped holes doing what morley does but spinning the disc [sandwiched between the LED's/LDR'sreveals more/all/less/none of the Photo devices to their 'opposite counterparts' [LED sees the emitted Photons or not].
 One tougher trick for them to do is get really low resistance value. Another is how fast does the LDR change resistance...sometimes slow is what is needed [in the case of using an incandescent lamp with slow rate of photon release rate change, or...and...LED for fast rate of change [see Blackfinger Comp.].
 How dark was never really a problem for me, as it's the low resistance/brightness side that is harder to get to a low R value, just leave 'em pretty dark in the enclosure can work, or enclose the LED/LDR in a light-sealed container [typing paper did that with glue for me, electrical tape to shield from outside photons.
 Choose the light, and the LDR...according to how well their properties suit your needs.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

~arph

arma61

Quote from: bumblebee on January 20, 2009, 05:13:02 PM
I put one in a feedback loop so you could use your foot over it like a wah, controlling the amount of insaneness.

Cool! I like it, just one question for experimenting, with which FX do you get better "response" ?

I can experiment with a Barber Silver LT, a Guv'nor and a DS1 (all DIY), are they any good, is it easy to find with res. is in the feedback loop (is it the one that bring back the signal to the -in of the op-amp ?)

Thx
Armando
"it's a matter of objectives. If you don't know where you want to go, any direction is about as good as any other." R.G. Keen

bumblebee

No No, a Feedbackloop as in true bypass and feedback looper, a passive pedal consisting of only four jacks, a 3PDT, a SPST, a pot and an LDR.

The best pedals to put in the loop are modulation like phasers, chorus, flangers but also put at least one dirt pedal in there to increase the gain of the loop too.

arma61

Quote from: bumblebee on January 21, 2009, 03:10:15 PM
No No, a Feedbackloop as in true bypass and feedback looper, a passive pedal consisting of only four jacks, a 3PDT, a SPST, a pot and an LDR.

The best pedals to put in the loop are modulation like phasers, chorus, flangers but also put at least one dirt pedal in there to increase the gain of the loop too.

Oh poor me! I completely misunderstood it  :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: I got it now!
"it's a matter of objectives. If you don't know where you want to go, any direction is about as good as any other." R.G. Keen

notchboy

Then there's the "photocells gathered around the LED campfire" approach used in the CAE Infinitephase...

http://modezero.com/infinitephase.htm

NumBass

Quote from: notchboy on January 21, 2009, 04:49:30 PM
Then there's the "photocells gathered around the LED campfire" approach used in the CAE Infinitephase...

http://modezero.com/infinitephase.htm

wow...thats REALLY cool.,....but i would think it would get almost the same sound because they are the same kind of LED and they are really close. Once i get better at this stuff im going to make one that has separated ones with 2 or 3 LEDS by them, have a few flash with adjustable rates (hopefully making a pulsing phaser, and different colors light up with different notes i play. I believe that would sound awesome, depending on how much you can actually detect the change in sound.   How recognizable is it?