Q on Alpha Pots

Started by StereoKills, January 20, 2009, 10:46:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StereoKills

Hi all! I've been lurking here for a while, but finally got around to posting!

I'm working on my first DIY pedal, the Rebote Delay 2.5 circuit from tonepad.com and I was having trouble with the enclosure I got from ebay. The holes drilled for the pots and the LED enclosure are too small! I have the 24mm Alpha pots and the T1 - 3/4 LED holder from small bear and was going to order the 16mm ones instead, but I wasn't sure if there was any difference in the diameter of the shaft (the threading won't fit through the holes). Should I get smaller parts or was the enclosure just drilled wrong, in which case I'll just widen the holes up.

-E
"Sometimes it takes a thousand notes to make one sound"

jacobyjd

Pot threading isn't necessarily standard--whomever drilled the enclosure might have gauged them using different pots. There's no need to go buy new parts--just grab the nearest fitting round file and go to town.

That enclosure is yours to make ANYTHING fit it  :icon_biggrin:
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

StereoKills

Gotcha! I'll probably just use the drill press as that will be quicker. I may end up switching to 16mm pots anyway so I can have more room inside for the perfboard. Thanks!

Jim Jones

For making those holes bigger, might I suggest a Unibit step drill?  My favourite metalworking tool and one of my best tool purchases ever!  No more wonky holes or damage from spiral bits grabbing. 

http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/jhtml/brandProducts.jhtml?brand=Unibit

Jim

StereoKills

I use the drill press at my work, and I believe we have a step drill bit as well....I'll have to take a look. Thanks!

bumblebee

Unibits go thru enclosures like a hot knife thru butter, you should get some. I have three, all different sizes and its the best thing I've ever bought for DIY.