Tonebender/Fuzz face switch questions

Started by Nitefly182, January 22, 2009, 03:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nitefly182

Im working on a tonebender build and I want to make the first stage switchable. My question is whether the volume difference between the two settings is going to be too dramatic to make a footswitch worthwhile over a toggle. Anyone done this and have any advice?

petemoore

A Rangemaster and a Fuzz Face, a BP Switch for each effect yes.
  RM into FF sounds [and looks] a lot like a Tonebender [FF + gain stage in front].
  If the FF is 'fully Fuzzy', increasing the input level can make very little difference in output level because the signal is clipped at "X" amplitude, regardless of how much the input is boosted., distortion increases.
  OTOH if the FF has 'room up top, unfilled' [less than fuzzy and with room before clipping 'clamps' further output amplitude, gain set lower somehow], boosting the FF input will increase volume and fuzzy ness.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Solidhex

Yo

I've made a couple of those. The output doesn't change dramatically. Only problem I find is that the Fuzz Face section of a Tonebender is pretty mellow sounding by itself since it has to be toned down to work with the first stage. Its a fun mod anyways.

--Brad

Nitefly182

Quote from: Solidhex on January 22, 2009, 08:57:39 PM
Yo

I've made a couple of those. The output doesn't change dramatically. Only problem I find is that the Fuzz Face section of a Tonebender is pretty mellow sounding by itself since it has to be toned down to work with the first stage. Its a fun mod anyways.

--Brad

I was planning on dropping some pretty high gain OC76s in all three slots (200-300hfe) so Im thinking that might make everything pretty gainy and make it sort of a two-channel fuzz. Do you think its actually a worthwhile mod or just sort of a trick to try once?

petemoore

RM sounds good, maybe worth a try, has troubles getting along in modern effect chains for one reason or another.
  RM drives FF and that '3GE' fuzz sound can be like Tonebender, schematic references show the differences, mostly in the 1rst gain stage. This lets you adjust the input level of the FF.
  Though input level could be done inside the FF switch also...
  So when the FF is going maybe the gain is adjusted to bring it back up since the RM isn't increasing it when bypassed.
  I'm picky and lazy, when I hit the fuzz button it's a pre-set, at least 1/2 fine tuned Fuzz dial-in [which includes everything, I tend to set the amp and everything for 'that' sound]. Then I leave everything 'so', when I hit the switch 'there' I am.
  When it comes to milder distortions, the RM can be milder...but with me being picky and lazy again, I chose to use other circuits are used for these tones.
  Dynacomp>FF is how my FF often is when it's on.
  Another equally fun condition I like for it is when the amp is more cranked, and the gain and volume go up on the FF [other than figureing out my newish BMP, this is one of the few things I adjust besides delay and modulation effects], FF into amp can be a great sound.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Solidhex

Yeah

A combo Rangemaster/Fuzzface pedal would be more usefull than doing the Tonebender fuzz face switch. Especially with a external bias control on the fuzz face side...

--Brad