"May I?" distortion pedal based upon ROG MayQueen

Started by alex frias, January 22, 2009, 05:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alex frias

But, pleaee, remember to report your build to help all of us!
Pagan and happy!

Ben N

That sounds fantastic, probably as good as a stompbox can do in getting the BM tone. It's a little more of a project than I am up for at the moment, but I will watch this thread, especially to see if anyone comes up with a way to lower the noise floor.

Thanks, Alex, for another terrific contribution.
  • SUPPORTER

alex frias

Pagan and happy!

frank_p

Quote from: alex frias on January 25, 2009, 05:41:53 PM
Oh, Gosh, forgive my lazyness!

It's not lazyness.  It's the maniac stompbox syndrome...
If it's getting too severe, Aron will lock you in the lounge.

Have fun !

alex frias

Pagan and happy!

DougH

Sounds really great, Alex! Sounds like a very refined May Queen. I can tell you put a lot of work into this one. :icon_wink:

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

Zen

I am trying really hard not to say something like "sounds like a spring clean, for the may queen", but i can't help it

alex frias

DougH
Nice to hear from you! Thanks!

Zen
thanks anyway I can't help you with that matter ;D
Pagan and happy!

alex frias

I've tried a number of Ge trannies as the Q1 and found that any medium-to-high hfe (around 200), not leaky, NPN Germanium device will do!!! ;D
Pagan and happy!

Ben N

Quote from: alex frias on January 26, 2009, 05:08:22 PM
I've tried a number of Ge trannies as the Q1 and found that any medium-to-high hfe (around 200), not leaky, NPN Germanium device will do!!! ;D
Anyway the wind blows, doesn't really matter to me, to me...
  • SUPPORTER

alex frias

Pagan and happy!

Ben N

OK, but treble has to become "Flash," and bass, well bass just has to be "FBG"!
  • SUPPORTER

Bucksears

Has anyone built this yet? I'd have to order Q1 from Smallbear, but I'd like to get some feedback (if any) from any build reports.
I like the sound of the MayQueen, but the controls are somewhat limited; I use (and really like) my Wampler CrankedAC for jangly overdrive and crunchy lead/rhythm Vox sounds, but this sounds like a high-gainer and I'm interested.

Oh, and if we're going for pseudonyms for the controls, where Treble = 'Flash', Bass = 'FBG', then in keeping with the Queen-as-movie-soundtrack-thing I suggest we rename 'Cut' to 'McLeod.'

frank_p

Quote from: Bucksears on February 08, 2009, 02:12:40 PM
Has anyone built this yet?

On the site in south America (Brazil).
I think that the only issue is that it is a bit noisy.

Captainobvious99

gigimarga

First, thx Alex and Guero for sharing it! It sounds amazing...it was love at first sight!

The only little problem that i had was that on the layout the pinout of Q1(OC140) is E-C-B (from top to bottom) and, because I have no OC140, i used an AC127 with the hFE around 100 and a pinout E-B-C. I think it could be useful to note that in the pdf.

On the other hand the 470k from the "Rangemaster" section goes after the 10K "Drive" pot, not directly to +9V as in a usual Rangemaster. I have no ideea if it matters or not...i put it directly to +9V to avoid unwanted surprises.

Thx a lot again!

alex frias

Tha way the 470K goes to 10K and not directly to the Vcc will have no surprise at all. But if you feel not confident enough, do it as you wish!

Be wellcome and if you build one, please, tell us your impressions, comments and suggestions, ok?

Recently I did extensively tests with this uboxed arachnideous circuit you can see on the picture accompaning the video using a small power valve amp (stereo, 3,5 watts per channel).

With very small changes on the pots settings it accomodated very well another setup. It even sounded better than in the video, IMHO!

A friend from the brazilian website handmades.com made some PCB's and I hope to rebuilt it ASAP, without sockets, one well made PCB, less flying wiring and being boxed with proper shielding.

Altermatively there are two other layout of it on ....com. There you will find a difference about the use of trimmers. They went on the sources, not at the drains. Untested versions by myself yet.
Pagan and happy!

gigimarga

My only comment is: FABULOUS!

I am a big fan of ROG's May Queen too, but this has a very tight sound (i was looking from something like that for a couple of months) and the tone controls are very useful.
I will make some tests to switch the input after the Rangemaster through a 22-47nF cap.
I hope that in the next week to test it in a professional setup and i will write a report here.

Bucksears

Is there a finalized version on the way?
I downloaded the PCB, but don't want to start on it if there are things being ironed out.

I'm excited about this one and want to build it ASAP.
Thanks again
- Buck