Sweep on my Vox V848 is a bit too abrupt . . .

Started by msb69, January 23, 2009, 10:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msb69

I have the Vox V848 Clyde McCoy pedal, which generally sounds quite good.  The only thing that bugs me is that the sweep from bass to treble does not seem very natural.  Rather, the tone appears to abruptly jump from being bassy to trebly.  I'm looking for a nice, round sweep.

I think this pedal has a 100k resistor in parallel with the inductor.  Will switching to a 68k resistor be helpful?  With there be any side effects (e.g., less headroom, volume changes, etc.) from doing that?

Would it be even better to add a 100k linear pot in place of the 100k fixed resistor?   If so, how should that be wired?

msb

Hanglow

You can replace that resistor with a pot and it will give you a Q control - I would put a resistor in series with the pot as well so it doesn't go to 0, but you don't have to.  So remove the resistor, and take two leads from where it was, wire one end to say lug 3 of the 100k pot (or trim pot if you want it internal) and the other end to say a 30k resistor (if you want) which goes to lugs 2 and 1.

You can also replace the cap that connects to the middle lug of the main sweep pot - this changes the response of the sweep which is useful if your wah doesn't have the ICAR taper pot - I can't remember if I changed mine from the stock .22uf one to .1u or .33u, I'm sure if you do some searching for this one then you will find the correct value.