A symbol I don't know

Started by primedynasty, February 01, 2009, 12:56:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

primedynasty

Quote from: GREEN FUZ on February 02, 2009, 10:48:40 AM
Quote from: freezx on February 02, 2009, 10:17:29 AM
As for the blue area, its a pot, a.k.a potentiometer.

Quote from: primedynasty on February 02, 2009, 10:20:06 AM
its actually a preset, which is different than a pot in that it isn't changed often, or at all except for the initial setting, at least that is what I read.

You`re both correct. The trimpot is just a (usually) miniaturised version of the potentiometer/variable resistor designed to be set and left. In principle, they work the same way.

i thought  a preset only had two pins coming off of it where a trim pot would have three?  So its safe to say, either way, i can replace the preset with a resistor in the presets range and everything should be fine.

GREEN FUZ

Yes, theoretically. I need to qualify that though by saying I have no idea what that component is doing in the circuit. Perhaps there is a reason why one might want to change the value.

primedynasty

i believe it changes the sensitivity of the led drivers to the audio signal, so if you wanted to hit the higher leds then you could change the preset.

slacker

Quote from: primedynasty on February 02, 2009, 09:50:42 AM
ok i am really confused, which is it?  Are they all ground, is one Vref? 

The black bar is ground. The black triangle is just the point where R32 and R33 join (where it says 3V36), all the black triangles should be connected to this point. It just makes the schematic easier to read drawing it like this as opposed to trying to draw traces linking all the triangles.

The section in green I have not added to the board and am not sure what it is.

R33 and R32 create a voltage of around 2.25volts where they join, I don't know why it says 3.36 volts, you'd need about 12volts instead of 8 to get that. C15 basically makes this point look like ground as far as AC signals are concerned.
You need to add this because otherwise, what are you connecting all the points marked with a triangle to?

Also, still wondering about the preset which is blue, can I just put a fixed resistor in its place?

You can use a fixed resistor in place of the trim pot, but you might have to try different values to get it to work properly. If you could just use a specific resistor value, they wouldn't have included the trim pot.

Hope that helps :)