Analog Delay Building Blocks

Started by aziltz, February 02, 2009, 09:33:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aziltz

Is there a definitive, or perhaps, basic, analog delay schematic floating around?

R.G.

Probably not definitive.

About the most basic ones would be the applications notes in the spec sheets for the Panasonic delay chips. Find those at hammer.ampage.org.

An analog delay is still a sampled-data delay; about all that's different from digital delays is that a) the resolution (bit depth) is theoretically infinite, although it's practically limited by noise and charge leakage issues and b) the signal to noise ratio gets worse with longer delays, where in a digital one, it is fixed by the bit depth/resolution.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

oldschoolanalog

Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

Mark Hammer

No.  I think he means it's a nice assortment of delay schematics that will let you see common elements.

The basic "building blocks" will include:

a) signal preconditioning/splitter

b) pre-delay-chip filtering

c) delay chip and any required biasing

d) post-delay-chip filtering

e) clock generation circuit

f) wet-dry-mixing/output circuit

Add to this any companding or other approach at noise reduction.  There are some basic block layouts for flangers in several documents at my site.  Check those scanned issues of DEVICE.

frank_p

OK, Mark, thanks again, it's glued in my notebook !

Quote from: Mark Hammer on February 02, 2009, 01:18:09 PM
Add to this any companding or other approach at noise reduction.  There are some basic block layouts for flangers in several documents at my site.  Check those scanned issues of DEVICE.

Yeah, I'm putting together a binder of your papers, GEO's and AMZ ones.  Digital-computer files get lost in all the folders and recycled paper is better for taking notes and underlining.

Somebody gave me TONS of 1,5 in2 transparent acrylic pieces.  I have beguined to put building blocks on them.  The good thing about that method is that you see the components and the connections underneath.  Put a bit of velcro and car rug with that and you have a great experimentation platform.

geertjacobs

The PT-80 explanation is about how to simulate an analog delay with a cheap digital ic.
Very useful to learn about building blocks IMO.

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/pt80techinfo.pdf

oldschoolanalog

Quote from: frank_p on February 02, 2009, 12:55:05 PM
:icon_frown:  Is that sarcastic...If so:  :D
No, not at all. I did mean...
... it's a nice assortment of delay schematics that will let you see common elements.
By "have fun" I mean; "welcome to the wonderful world of BBD madness!" ;D
Speaking of B.B.Dementia (scroll down the page a bit):
http://hammer.ampage.org/?cmd=lt&xid=&fid=&ex=&pg=7
Fantastic compilation of BBD info there.

Dave
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

jrod

Howdy guys!

This is a cool thread. I'm new hear and it's fun to see something a little different - to me anyways.

Thanks!

Mark Hammer

Actually, you might find more info here: http://www.synthdiy.com/

People have been adding to their collection over time, whereas I haven't updated bbdementia in a while.

frank_p

mac

More than 15 years ago I was in Brazil for holidays, and I met a guitar player who was also EE. He showed me a very big box, the size of a shoes box, full of capacitors and resistors placed as in a railway, resistors in the steel, caps in the wood, or viceversa. It was an analog delay which sounded terrific. The idea is that every resistor and capacitor delay the signal by dT=RC. I do not know any tech data.
All I remember is that he talked about a long delay line and transistors.
Recently I posted about it, because the concept is in my head since then.

mac

mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

frank_p

Quote from: mac on February 02, 2009, 09:38:33 PM
More than 15 years ago I was in Brazil for holidays, and I met a guitar player who was also EE. He showed me a very big box, the size of a shoes box, full of capacitors and resistors placed as in a railway, resistors in the steel, caps in the wood, or viceversa. It was an analog delay which sounded terrific. The idea is that every resistor and capacitor delay the signal by dT=RC. I do not know any tech data.
All I remember is that he talked about a long delay line and transistors.
Recently I posted about it, because the concept is in my head since then.

Similar ?

aziltz

No.  I think he means it's a nice assortment of delay schematics that will let you see common elements.

The basic "building blocks" will include:

a) signal preconditioning/splitter

b) pre-delay-chip filtering

c) delay chip and any required biasing

d) post-delay-chip filtering

e) clock generation circuit

f) wet-dry-mixing/output circuit

i think i'm looking for sample circuits of these sections, would that be in the data sheets of the delay chips?

oldschoolanalog

dthurstan

Do any of these circuits show how to cascade bbds together? To make a massive long delay or multi tap delays!! ;D

oldschoolanalog

mac

Frank,
Yes, but resistors instead of inductors.

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84