Transistor Advice

Started by Xelent, February 02, 2009, 06:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xelent

Hi there,

I'm looking to start experimenting with some Fuzz Face and/or Big Muff fuzz circuits, as well as some octave fuzz.

What would you guys suggest as far as transistors?

What are some popular models?

Thanks very much,

Riley

Dragonfly

2n5088
2n3904
2n2222
bc108
bc109
bc547
mpsa18
mpsa13

that should give you a good start

i think futulec carries them all ... www.futurlec.com  ...also, check out their "value packs"...great prices for assorted parts

petemoore

I'm looking to start experimenting with some Fuzz Face and/or Big Muff fuzz circuits, as well as some octave fuzz.
 For Fuzzface: Sourcing usable Ge's offer the greatest challenge to the builder, hfe/leakage matter.
 Si transistors are much easier to source and work with.
 As for BMP, high gain low noise...the 2n5088 is very 'popular because it is what was used for many a BMP.
 For octave/fuzz, you may need a PNP and NPN's [or vice versa]. MPSA18 is another HG/LN transistor.
What would you guys suggest as far as transistors? Small Bear Electronics.
 Si. 4401, 2n2222a, and I had good luck with 'gain crapshoots' using 2n2369, I'm sure there are others.
What are some popular models?
 Any Si which falls in the lower gain category. The Si that has the 'correct' gain.
 The thing about 'popular' Ge's is that they may already have been sought after and sorted through for the usable ones. "Lesser known" is probably a better approach because 'usable/desirable' boils down to hfe/gain, part #'s won't tell you that.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Xelent

Thanks everyone!

Dragonfly, that site is great! I've been shopping around for a while, getting ready to place some orders, and that place has some fantastic deals.

While I'm on the subject, what's your favorite fuzz circuit and why?

Riley

Xelent

On a similar note, could you suggest some popular OP amps?

Thanks

Riley

MikeH

tl072
tl062
tl071
jrc4558
cd4049ube
lm741
lm386
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

Xelent

Hi there,

Sorry to keep bothering you, but I was wondering:

Could anyone suggest a couple of good fuzz circuits to start with? Ones that relate to the transistors/OP amps you suggested?

I'd greatly appreciate it.

Riley

kurtlives

The two classics...

Tube Screamer (dual op-amp)
Fuzz Face (Ge transistors)

or if that's not your style
DOD 250 (single op-amp)
EHX Linear Power Booster {LPB} (single Si transistor)
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com