snarling dogs layouts/schematics?

Started by CoolJohnny, February 03, 2009, 01:25:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoolJohnny

anyone have any of these, particularly the early (two knob) blue doo? i've read that all three were built on the same board and opening mine up it seems to be true, with vacant contact points labeled for switches of other models. anyhow, these were all CD 4049 pedals right? based on the red llama/anderton tube sound fuzz family? but how closely? love to take some of the "woof" out of mine, no pun intended...its a little too dark sounding and muddy on the bottom. id like to coax more mid/squawk out of it....tips? always appreciated...
my car is so slow i piss off amish people....

Mark Hammer

I believe the Tweedy Dog was a copy of the original EHX Hot Tubes, which also used a 4049 as the distortion element.

Ben N

IIRC, all of those Snarling Dogs CMOS-based distortions use the same PCB, just tweaked for their respective sonic signatures. Unfortunately I did not compare when I had them, but the Tweedy Dog and Blue Doo sounded a lot alike to me.
  • SUPPORTER

Mark Hammer

I'm looking at a dual-schematic for the Tweed E Dog and Black Dog (provenance unknown).  The audio path for the Tweed E Dog is pretty much identical to the factory schem for the Hot Tubes, with the exception of the Snarl/Bite switch (a lowpass filter after the volume pot).  the Black Dog used the identical board/structure, but changes a few cap values to bring more bottom into the signal at different points.

frank_p

Quote from: Ben N on February 03, 2009, 11:31:37 AM
IIRC, all of those Snarling Dogs CMOS-based distortions use the same PCB, just tweaked for their respective sonic signatures. Unfortunately I did not compare when I had them, but the Tweedy Dog and Blue Doo sounded a lot alike to me.

Is it the same with the Fuzz Buzz ?  I don't like mine.  And the top of the IC have been sanded to remove the identification code.

CoolJohnny

thanks everyone. now trying to find the best HT schem out there...soon time to fire up the old iron. :icon_twisted:
my car is so slow i piss off amish people....