Squeezer build - Diode question

Started by Ell, February 03, 2009, 05:40:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ell

Hey, I just joined this forum and I'm getting pretty into pedals. I've been modding my DS-1 recently and have messed around with a battery powered amp.

Now I'm moving onto building my first pedal from scratch and it's gonna be the Orange Squeezer.
I bought all of the parts today, except I forgot to buy the Diode. It's a 1N34a and the reason I can't buy it from the same shop is because there's a £20 order minimum.

However, my friend works at Maplins so anything which they have I could use. Are there any diodes that could be used instead of the 1N34a that I'll stand more of a chance finding?

Thanks.

Mark Hammer

The OS is predicated on the diode having a forward voltage in the range of around 200-250mv, which would require a germanium or Schottky diode of some sort.  The original used a 1N100, but that can be replaced with the 1N34A, a 1N60, a 1N270, and probably a bunch of japanese diodes that I have no knowledge of.

If push comes to shove, you CAN used a normal silicon diode like a 1N914 or 1N4148, but note several caveats that come with doing so.

1) If it isn't more than 500-550mv in amplitude the diode won't conduct the signal, so there is increased possibility of the initial attack and more likely the decay portion being "ignored" by the FET.  That may have an audible impact...or not.  Depends what you want it to sound like.

2) Getting the signal past that 500-550mv hurdle means adding a bit more gain in the op-amp.  Consider adding a bit more feedback resistance, like 330k instead of 220k.

The Si diode will "work" and the circuit will function, but for optimal "stock" sound, you can swap the any-port-in-a-storm choice of diode with a proper Ge diode once the opportunity presents itself.  A bit like living off hamburger until you can get yourself a proper steak.

Ell

Thanks for the reply.

The local shop has both the 1n914 and 1n4148, but also has a load of these Schottky diodes you mentioned.

I don't know which would work, but the general jist of them is:

Schottky Rectifier Diode
1A, 3A, 15A, 16A and 30A  Schottky Barrier Rectifiers

Would any of them be better than the "hamburger" option? Also, if it all comes down to it is one of the Silicon diodes better than the other for this pedal?

Thanks

EDIT: Okay, I've found a 1N100 in Germany. Cheers!