Tone Stack Calculator - Implementation

Started by aziltz, February 04, 2009, 09:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aziltz

If i wanted to experiment with the various tone stacks (vox, fender, etc...) how could i implement them in the most basic circuit?

I was thinking, Clipping/Gain section --> Tone Stack --> Output Stage?  Should i follow the recipe for a Tube Screamer?

Will this be obvious to the ear?  Will the tones resemble the amps in any way?

km-r

in tube amps... the tone stack voices the power tube saturation... so this implementation is quite different for stompboxes.

you could put it in different stages but make sure the impedance of the next stage is high enough so it wont load the tonestack...
take the case of the dr boogey, the tonestack was scaled down to lower its output impedance. this means, it retains its freq response while driving the next stage. this scaling, however, increases the voltage drop on the tonestack but in the case of the DB, the output is still very high.

the common application of tonestacks in stompboxes are after the gain stage, usually, with a buffer in between...
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar.  If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

aziltz

Quote from: km-r on February 04, 2009, 10:32:08 PM
in tube amps... the tone stack voices the power tube saturation... so this implementation is quite different for stompboxes.

the common application of tonestacks in stompboxes are after the gain stage, usually, with a buffer in between...

voicing the power tube saturation.  does this mean the tone stack is right before the power tube? or after?

aziltz

i was hoping to get some other opinions.  bump?

John Lyons

Generally you should put the tone stack right before the volume control with a distortion type circuit.
This way you shape the overall sound and have maximum control.

The tube screamer tone control is very different than the marshall/vox/fender tone stacks,
you would get a very different sound by using something different (which may be nice).

john

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

km-r

Quote from: aziltz on February 04, 2009, 11:29:53 PM
Quote from: km-r on February 04, 2009, 10:32:08 PM

voicing the power tube saturation.  does this mean the tone stack is right before the power tube? or after?

yes, but youre not building a tube amp, are you?
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar.  If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

aziltz

i'm just trying to draw an analogy between pedals and amps so i can try out some tone stacks in pedals.