First build- Keeley Java Boost- Switch pops

Started by LEON.01, February 06, 2009, 05:47:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LEON.01

Just finished my first build! Actually, its not my first, but the first one i've got working!
Anyway, the problem is, When changing from Bass, Mid or treble via the toggle, i get a horrible popping noise!

Read the FAQ! If i de-solder and clean the switch lugs, also make the connection wires shorter, will this eliminate the pops?

Another querie is, the bass and treble positions are alot louder than the mid position! any solutions?

Layout used was from index of / torchy

LEON.01

Solidhex

LEON.01

Quote from: Solidhex on February 12, 2009, 05:14:05 AM
pull down resistors.... use them.

--Brad

Hmmm! that was helpful!

Maybe i have to emphasize more on the FIRST BUILD bit!!!!!!

If the circuit layout has them, then so do i! If i need to add them myself then it needs explaining a little better than 'use them'!!!!!!! Hence the 'First build' in the heading!!!!!!!  ???

GREEN FUZ

Try soldering a 1M or higher resistor before the input cap to ground. It serves to drain the input cap while in bypass and prevent popping when switched on. I`m not familiar with the layout you`re referring to so can`t advise exactly how to implement the addition.

if you need more in depth information try a search of the forum. Good luck.

aziltz

wheres the schematic you built from? i'd like to take a look-see

Solidhex

Quote from: LEON.01 on February 12, 2009, 06:21:37 AM
Quote from: Solidhex on February 12, 2009, 05:14:05 AM
pull down resistors.... use them.

--Brad

Hmmm! that was helpful!

Maybe i have to emphasize more on the FIRST BUILD bit!!!!!!

If the circuit layout has them, then so do i! If i need to add them myself then it needs explaining a little better than 'use them'!!!!!!! Hence the 'First build' in the heading!!!!!!!  ???

haha sorry man not trying to be a dick  ;)  there's a lot of really simple problems with building pedals that have simple solutions. I know you want quick answers and I understand but you'd be surprised by how many questions can be answered by reading up on some of FAQ's on this site. have some patience and spend some time reading that stuff. I hate the elitist attitude myself. However a little quick research will inform you that caps store charge and if they can't release that charge through some sort of path to ground you  will get a POP!

--Brad

reverbie

pull down resistors are pretty basic. why don't you look it up if you don't know what they are???

no one here is "owed" a step-by-step tutorial or spoon-fed response for being a first time builder...

being here and having access to all these great minds is a privilege for all of us, so don't blow it for yourself.

My tender heart bleeds for you, idiot.

LEON.01

haha sorry man not trying to be a dick  ;)  there's a lot of really simple problems with building pedals that have simple solutions. I know you want quick answers and I understand but you'd be surprised by how many questions can be answered by reading up on some of FAQ's on this site. have some patience and spend some time reading that stuff. I hate the elitist attitude myself. However a little quick research will inform you that caps store charge and if they can't release that charge through some sort of path to ground you  will get a POP!

--Brad
[/quote]

LOL! no probs matey! Read the FAQ over and over, can only take in so much at a time!  ;)
Glad you didnt get arsy about my reply! didnt mean it to sound ungrateful!!!!  ;D
Sound as a pound, Cheers Brad!

Quote from: reverbie on February 16, 2009, 04:55:49 AM
pull down resistors are pretty basic. why don't you look it up if you don't know what they are???

no one here is "owed" a step-by-step tutorial or spoon-fed response for being a first time builder...

being here and having access to all these great minds is a privilege for all of us, so don't blow it for yourself.

OOOOOH! MEOW! put your claws back in! Obviously, I'm not supposed to be asking questions in a forum where people ask questions!!!!!!!

Yea, i know where the faq is, i know what it is, Sorry I'm not a master at building stomp boxes from reading it! But.... sometimes its just QUICKER to ask on here, PLUS you get a more in-depth explaination! (sometimes)!!!  :D

Blow it for myself????? How? because i said the answer i got meant nothing to me! Hmmm! ok!

And where does it say that i think i'm 'owed' anything??????    It was ONLY a question!!!!!!!!!!!

Ice-9

Ok by the sound of the question pulldown resistors at the input / output wont stop the pop as they are intended to be used on the input and output caps to stop the pops that occurs there when using the bypass fotswitch, it sounds like the pop is coming from the switch used to swich in and out of the circuit capacitors that give different tones "bass, mid, treb" you could try pulldown reistors there. It would help if there was a link to the schematic you have used for this build.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

anchovie

I would suggest only changing the switch position when the effect is off!

Looking at the official manual for the Java Boost reveals that a locking toggle switch is used in the original pedal to prevent accidental bumping. The circuit was never designed to have the tone switch altered whilst in use.
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

LEON.01

Quote from: anchovie on February 16, 2009, 08:52:10 AM
I would suggest only changing the switch position when the effect is off!

Looking at the official manual for the Java Boost reveals that a locking toggle switch is used in the original pedal to prevent accidental bumping. The circuit was never designed to have the tone switch altered whilst in use.

That was what i thought! I would never actually alter the tone while i'm using it. But, that said, the pops do sound kinda,,,, Bad! Like thr not supposed to happen, but like you said, it shouldn't really be a problem if i'm not flicking the switch while the effect is on.

Quote from: GREEN FUZ on February 16, 2009, 09:26:48 AM
The original seems to exhibit the same problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z58dbdr6go

Ok! knowing that the guy who designed the circuit has the same problem is a bit of a comfort! lol!

Cheers fellas, heres the layout i used:

reverbie

Leon,

you mocked Brad "Hmm that was helpful", maybe you forgot that in your volatile state.   

"How? because i said the answer i got meant nothing to me!" Your response speaks for itself.

If you come with unappreciative sarcasm like you did, you're gonna get called out. No grudge.

That being said, thanks for the vero layout. Cheers.
My tender heart bleeds for you, idiot.

spudulike

Actually pull-downs wont have the desired effect in this case as the switch is selecting capacitors in parallel in the tone shaping to the fx input. Use pulldowns and you'll be putting a high resistance to ground on both switchable caps straight off the transistor base.

You need to look at Torchy's Phase45/Univibe mods and the way he used RG's "alternate" pop removal using a 1Meg resistor in series  with the cap, with the switch shorting out the resistor. The high resistance keeps the cap effectively out of circuit until shorted when it becomes paralleled with the fixed cap. More details are on RGs site. Looks like this ...

To answer your problem, I think you should wire up as in the vero layout using a centre-off switch. Now wire two 1Meg resistors between poles A & B, and then A & C. There's space for the two resistors on the veroboard above C2.

BTW the "new" java boost has no locking switch and 3 tone positions.

LEON.01

Quote from: reverbie on February 16, 2009, 03:48:18 PM
Leon,

you mocked Brad "Hmm that was helpful", maybe you forgot that in your volatile state.  

"How? because i said the answer i got meant nothing to me!" Your response speaks for itself.

If you come with unappreciative sarcasm like you did, you're gonna get called out. No grudge.

That being said, thanks for the vero layout. Cheers.

I wouldn't call it a mock so much as a disagreement! And sarcasm can be taken 2 ways in text!!!! you can read it thinking i was joking around when i did so, OR you can read it thinking i was in a 'volatile' state when i wrote it! Just for the record, the former was intended. Brad got it!

No grudge taken, lol! No probs for the layout!

peace.

Quote from: spudulike on February 16, 2009, 04:39:28 PM
Actually pull-downs wont have the desired effect in this case as the switch is selecting capacitors in parallel in the tone shaping to the fx input. Use pulldowns and you'll be putting a high resistance to ground on both switchable caps straight off the transistor base.

You need to look at Torchy's Phase45/Univibe mods and the way he used RG's "alternate" pop removal using a 1Meg resistor in series  with the cap, with the switch shorting out the resistor. The high resistance keeps the cap effectively out of circuit until shorted when it becomes paralleled with the fixed cap. More details are on RGs site. Looks like this ...

To answer your problem, I think you should wire up as in the vero layout using a centre-off switch. Now wire two 1Meg resistors between poles A & B, and then A & C. There's space for the two resistors on the veroboard above C2.

Thanks spudulike! Will try that today.

Solidhex

Quote from: spudulike on February 16, 2009, 04:39:28 PM

Nice!