PS2 Dual Shock- Wah idea

Started by LEON.01, February 07, 2009, 06:54:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LEON.01

Had an idea and was wondering if anyone has tried it before!

These are the toggles from the inside of a dual shock controller! Everyones seen one no doubt, for those of you who haven't, its basically a toggle attached to 2 pots which is able to move around 360o! also with u push button feature!

I'll try and explain a bit better with the aid of a pic!

Right, toggle A! When (1) is moved from left to right, it operates the pot marked (2)! Now i'm only guessing but lugs 1,2 & 3 are going to be the lugs for it as on a standard pot, right?
And like i said, it can move 360o! When (1) is moved up & down, it operates the pot arrowed in girly pink! And... if you twirl it around (off the usual axis) both pots are in operation.

So, the first question is, do these pots operate like standard ones?

Secondly, on toggle (B), you can see that if you push the toggle down, it operates a switch!

Second question is, Can this switch be used to turn the effect on/off?

This all came about after seeing a proxy theramin on a guitar. Thought this might work as a cheap alternative to it! Not really a stomp box but hey!
Anyway, thrs my idea,

What do you all think?

slacker

The pots are almost certainly just like normal pots, easiest way to find out is to measure them. If you've got a meter set it to read resistance and connect the 2 probes to lugs 1 and 3 then move the stick around and if the value stays the same it's probably a normal pot. The resistance reading will be the value of the pot.
Then connect the probes between lugs 1 and 2 and push the stick to one extreme, that should give you either 0 resistance or the value you measured earlier, sweep it the other way and you should get the opposite.

The buttons are probably momentary, so they only switch whilst you're holding them down. You could use these to switch an effect on and off but you would probably need some extra circuitry to do this.

Sounds like a cool idea though :)

.........runs off to find a PS2 controller to destroy  ;D

earthtonesaudio

LEON.01

Right, tested it with a meter and... if i as using it right! lol! i was getting a reading of around 10k when connected to lugs 1 & 3, nothing happened when toggle was moved.
Got a reading of around 5-6k when connected to lugs 1 & 2 and went from .1 to 10k when toggle was moved!!!!!

I think we're in buisness! Just have to find a nice simple wah layout to test it!!

Also i read somewhere that all pots will work in place of others, is this true?

Think your right about the switch too! You have to keep it pushed down to have it on, i think anyway! but.... looking at it now, that little switch can be changed, so might be able to keep the push down feature too!

Here goes! If any one knows of an easy (verified) wah circuit to save me some time then please post!  ;)

arma61

Quote from: LEON.01 on February 07, 2009, 11:07:31 AM

Here goes! If any one knows of an easy (verified) wah circuit to save me some time then please post!  ;)

Colorsound Inductorless Wah, easy and inductorless!

http://www.diyguitarist.com/PDF_Files/ColorsoundWahPCB.pdf

"it's a matter of objectives. If you don't know where you want to go, any direction is about as good as any other." R.G. Keen

mth5044

Yes, they are the same as regular pots.

I made an oscillator using one of the joysticks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAAvFux9ibw

:icon_mrgreen:

DWBH

It's definitely more handy that this

I think I have and unusable PC controller somewhere... ;D

mth5044

Quote from: DWBH on February 07, 2009, 06:13:24 PM

I bought two of them from Devi a few days after I built the video i posted. I like these better, atleast for controlling oscillators. They stay still when you move them.

DWBH

True, I had not thought of that.

LEON.01

Quote from: arma61 on February 07, 2009, 05:39:12 PM
Quote from: LEON.01 on February 07, 2009, 11:07:31 AM

Colorsound Inductorless Wah, easy and inductorless!

http://www.diyguitarist.com/PDF_Files/ColorsoundWahPCB.pdf

Cheers matey! Just finishing it now! fingers crossed!  ;D

composition4

How about using the x-axis pot to control one wah, and the y-axis pot to control another - and experiment with having the two wahs running in series and parallel.  That way you could get a really vocal sound like people do with two wahs, but controlling it from the one place.  And if this sounds good, you could make up a larger-scale version of it, so it can be controlled by foot without breaking

Jonathan

tiges_ tendres

Quote from: mth5044 on February 07, 2009, 06:16:48 PM
Quote from: DWBH on February 07, 2009, 06:13:24 PM

I bought two of them from Devi a few days after I built the video i posted. I like these better, atleast for controlling oscillators. They stay still when you move them.

I bought one of those but I cant find it :(

Dang!
Try a little tenderness.

LEON.01

Quote from: composition4 on February 08, 2009, 06:57:02 PM
How about using the x-axis pot to control one wah, and the y-axis pot to control another - and experiment with having the two wahs running in series and parallel.  That way you could get a really vocal sound like people do with two wahs, but controlling it from the one place.  And if this sounds good, you could make up a larger-scale version of it, so it can be controlled by foot without breaking

Jonathan

Done it! and it works!!!!!!!!!! I am well and truely amazed! Wired up to both pots like suggested too! works a treat! tried wiring the the second pot to the intensity ports, Just got aload of white noise.

The ONLY problem is the pot rating! not quite large enough for the range of the effect! Still, OK for a gimmick! lol!

Now i'm thinking a 360 controller will have better, hopefully higher resistance pots! Probs not but an idea!!!!

FisTheGoon

Wow  :o congrat for the pedal done.Care to share the sample sound?I got some ps2 conroller lyng around and might be tempted to do.Thanks

mth5044

You don't have to waste PS2 controllers. PS controllers are much cheaper and have the same joy sticks  :)

SpencerPedals

Quote from: LEON.01 on February 09, 2009, 06:48:40 AM
The ONLY problem is the pot rating! not quite large enough for the range of the effect! Still, OK for a gimmick! lol!

Would this sort of setup help to increase the range of the pots?

http://www.diystompboxes.com/analogalchemy/emh/emh.html

I'm a newbie with this stuff, but it seems like it should.

Steve

LEON.01

Quote from: SpencerPedals on February 09, 2009, 09:35:40 AM

Steve

Wicked! cheers Steve! Appreciated!

arma61

Quote from: LEON.01 on February 09, 2009, 09:49:06 AM
Quote from: SpencerPedals on February 09, 2009, 09:35:40 AM

Steve

Wicked! cheers Steve! Appreciated!

I think this is not going to work as , just quoting the site, "This provides a way to fake a custom linear pot with a one of a larger value"

so you can decrease a larger value pot to the value you need, but not the other way round

in this case, if I remember well, Colorsound wah asks for 100k linear, and these PS2 pots are 10k according to your testing.

cheers m8s
Armando
"it's a matter of objectives. If you don't know where you want to go, any direction is about as good as any other." R.G. Keen

LEON.01

I think this is not going to work as , just quoting the site, "This provides a way to fake a custom linear pot with a one of a larger value"

so you can decrease a larger value pot to the value you need, but not the other way round

in this case, if I remember well, Colorsound wah asks for 100k linear, and these PS2 pots are 10k according to your testing.

cheers m8s
Armando

[/quote]

Yea, your right! keeps saying value is to high. Going to try an xbox 360 controller!
A more precise controller should have higher value pots, right?

David

By "PS controller" or "PS2 controller", I assume you are referring to a joystick for the PlayStation or the PlayStation 2 respectively, correct?