PS2 Dual Shock- Wah idea

Started by LEON.01, February 07, 2009, 06:54:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LEON.01

Quote from: David on February 09, 2009, 11:03:45 AM
By "PS controller" or "PS2 controller", I assume you are referring to a joystick for the PlayStation or the PlayStation 2 respectively, correct?

Yep, you've got it mate.

David

Quote from: LEON.01 on February 09, 2009, 11:07:45 AM
Quote from: David on February 09, 2009, 11:03:45 AM
By "PS controller" or "PS2 controller", I assume you are referring to a joystick for the PlayStation or the PlayStation 2 respectively, correct?

Yep, you've got it mate.

OK, but don't those pots have a center return?  Are you just using from the center to one side?  If so, wouldn't you get -- what?  5K?

LEON.01

OK, but don't those pots have a center return?  Are you just using from the center to one side?  If so, wouldn't you get -- what?  5K?
[/quote]

Yea they are centre return, i'm using all four sides! wired the other pot up too. Yes you would only cover 5k from centre to side, but from side to side it covers the full 10k. Still no where near enough though. The wah sound is clearly evident when you move it though! Sounds best when moved in a circular motion.

arma61

I think these can be posted in this thred, some crazy way for a wah pedal

this is from a member here

This is mine (still in construction!)

in case you come across other crazy ideas pls post !!!!   :D   :D

"it's a matter of objectives. If you don't know where you want to go, any direction is about as good as any other." R.G. Keen

LEON.01

Quote from: arma61 on February 09, 2009, 01:50:10 PM
I think these can be posted in this thred, some crazy way for a wah pedal

this is from a member here

This is mine (still in construction!)

in case you come across other crazy ideas pls post !!!!   :D   :D

LOL! thr cool! Found this in the shed! sewing machine pedal, not really a crazy idea, but a wah in the making none the less!  ;D

SpencerPedals

Ah sorry about that Armando.  I had the backwards.  In doing a bit of research online it looks like a lot of game controllers are small 10k pots but I did find a few things including the following, that suggest other flight-style controllers have 100k analog sticks:

"the pots are 10k where most quality analog sticks, like CH flightsticks, are 100k, which gives greater sensitivity".  Also 100K pots for analog sticks are mentioned in the last post of this page, with the Mouser part number (59 cents a piece):

http://www.gamesforum.ca/showthread.php?t=340133

So they exist.  I'm not part of the console modding underground, though, so I'm afraid I'm not much more help than that.

Ry

Found this while surfing around - cheaper and easier than buying and disassembling a PS2 controller, get the part you want for fairly cheap:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=9032

oskar

Quote from: arma61 on February 09, 2009, 01:50:10 PM

I remember this one...      ;D
It's absolutely hilarious. Looks like an FX unit that was built in one of Nairobi's suburbs.

gez

Re. low pot value.  If this were me, I'd stick the 10K across the rails and buffer the wiper with an op-amp follower.  You now have voltage control - think OTA state-variable-filter.  In practice, I'd stick a couple of diodes between pot and ground if using LM13700s (prevents the Iabc current being cut off), and might even limit the upper range to prevent the op-amp doing funny things (resistor from V+ to the pot).  Still, you'd get a decent range.  Enough for a nice wah sweep.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter