Voltage Multipliers (for our tube projects...)

Started by Renegadrian, February 07, 2009, 10:44:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichelP

I read the articles on the use of the MAX1771 in an SMPS .  Seems like a good idea to make a SMPS that I could  use for a HOTBOX ...

However it's an expensive chip compared to the NE555 I'm currently using in my SMPS.  On top of that : the availability in Europe is low.

Reading through this article http://www.desmith.net/NMdS/Electronics/NixiePSU.html I saw that the writer also mentions the following chip : MC34063 as a possibility to use in his SMPS . 

I found the MC34063 (complete MC34063ACN, producer ST Microelectronics ) at the RS internet store under stock NR 355-2706 for 0,82 €/pce. Moreover it's in stock !

Has anybody tried this?  Or should we try it ?..

MichelP

I'll buy new glasses...I swear...

RS stock item NR 516-5095 made by ON Semiconductor part NR MC34063AP1G :  0,51 €/pce !

I believe that's the one specified !

Question as in previous message.

PS I'm in no way affiliated with RS, their website was handy

Renegadrian

Quote from: Renegadrian on February 07, 2009, 10:44:28 AM
I'd like to make a new topic, did a quick search but there is not a similar one...
So I think it's quite useful to have all the voltage multipliers posted here...

As I wrote in the Valvy topic, here --> http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=63479.msg597319#msg597319
I wanted to try this circuit here --> http://w1.859.telia.com/~u85920178/power/vconv_01.htm
with 4 trannies and a low number of caps and diodes...
It works, altough I didn't put this circuit in a tube pedal like the valvy yet, I built it successfully, now I got 49.8V from the 14V I got from my unregulated wall wart - did I tell you I finally got a DMM?!  ;D

I believe it will find a good use in a tube project!!!
Here it is, mine has just a stage less to get that 48V

the link seems to have gone 404, but here is the layout...

and the one I made...Yellow lines are on the top side.
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

Jarno

By the way, harry's page has moved, but it is still available, I just found it:
SM0VPO's page, voltage converter has a bit more info on the circuit.

jcgss77

So if I am understanding the logic of a voltage multiplier correctly,

1. For each voltage doubling stage, there is a halving of current.

2. The maximum input voltage from the wall wart is 12v.  Is this the wart's peak output, or RMS output?

Thank you.

demym

Hi,

does anybody has vero layout for the SM0VPO circuit ? Renegadrian maybe ? I've looked into your Aaron's gallery section, but didn't find it.

Thanks

Ciao

Renegadrian

No vero on that one, the perf is quite easy and I did it that way...Ciao a te!!!  :icon_wink:

demym

Hi,

i'm experimenting with some of your voltage multipliers schematics; i have a question: it is possibile to obtain 'only' 50V with the nixie psu thing (the one with the 555 inside) ? As these are my first tries with simil HV, i'm a little bit scared to go and jump onto the 100V and more train....

Also, i've tried to feed my valvecaster with the pconv voltage multiplier (the renegadrian's one with BC557 and 547); i am using a 7812 for the tube, and i pick 18V at first couple of diodes, send it to the 7812 for the tube and then pick the 48V (last diodes stage) and send it to the tube anode... But... i am getting a lot of noise... is it regulare to pick two different voltages from that kind of circuit ?

Thanks !!!

Have a nice time

Renegadrian

i'm experimenting with some of your voltage multipliers schematics; i have a question: it is possibile to obtain 'only' 50V with the nixie psu thing (the one with the 555 inside) ? As these are my first tries with simil HV, i'm a little bit scared to go and jump onto the 100V and more train....
I read that the minimum voltage should be 100v more or less, up to 200 when maxed. I'd say go for it, it requires little precautions after all...

Also, i've tried to feed my valvecaster with the pconv voltage multiplier (the renegadrian's one with BC557 and 547); i am using a 7812 for the tube, and i pick 18V at first couple of diodes, send it to the 7812 for the tube and then pick the 48V (last diodes stage) and send it to the tube anode... But... i am getting a lot of noise... is it regulare to pick two different voltages from that kind of circuit ?
I think it should work with two exits, but I never tried myself...sorry I cannot be more helpful on that one...did you try to filter it somehow?!

merlinb

'Nother charge pump for the collection. I believe this one is more efficient (~70%) that the MAX and 555 circuits, but the output is unregulated so the output resistance is around 6k. However, even when charged up to 80V you can touch the output and feel nothing, so it appears to be shock-less! Switches at about 300kHz.

earthtonesaudio

Cliff Schecht

Quote from: merlinb on October 05, 2010, 05:20:27 AM
'Nother charge pump for the collection. I believe this one is more efficient (~70%) that the MAX and 555 circuits, but the output is unregulated so the output resistance is around 6k. However, even when charged up to 80V you can touch the output and feel nothing, so it appears to be shock-less! Switches at about 300kHz.

To me, shockless means no current and a crappy supply :P. I liked the little HV SMPS's with adjustable voltage rails. At about 120V you get a little tingle. At about 250V, it's more like an angry ant bite :icon_lol:.

merlinb

Quote from: Cliff Schecht on October 07, 2010, 02:08:49 AM
To me, shockless means no current and a crappy supply :P. I liked the little HV SMPS's with adjustable voltage rails.
Thanks for the technical appraisal. (Still trying to find "crappy" in my scientific dictionary...)

frequencycentral

adj. crappy: Vulgar Slang
1. Accessible to those who have only previously dealt with 9 volts.
2. Safe.
3. Do-able.
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

Cliff Schecht

:icon_lol:

The little  tube amp I'm working on for PAiA runs on only 170V DC after FW rectifier but would still probably give you quite a zap. Haven't actually tried to get shocked by that amp though..

frequencycentral

http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

gtudoran

Hey guys a quick update on my SMPS build, just finised a nixi smps with 555 (well i used a 556 bc i didn't have a 555... imagine that). The only thing i've changed is: inductor - 220uH and output cap filtering cap is 4.7uF/450v. I've managed to sqeez 300v with 100k/1w load. My fet is running cold so every thing seems to be in place (it's running for about 3 hours). Thank you guys for sharing the schematic ;)

Best regards,
Gabriel Tudoran
Analog Sound

gtudoran

Hey guys a new schematic for a SMPS  (i don't know if it's already posted). 270-300V @ output with 100mV ripple, it runs @ ~100kHz and you can put out max. 10mA (you can make some math yourself if you like other values - just look at the datasheet and you have all the formulas for this IC).

Best regards,
Gabriel Tudoran
Analog Sound

LE: The Ipk=544 mA so use a Inductor and a Diode that will handle at least 10% over this value.

g.

Renegadrian

Yeah it is easier if you have 12V AC - you can use the C0CKROFT WALTON and get very high voltages with just a bunch of regular components! this one seems smart too! I guess I have to buy a 12V AC wall wart!
Or can I hack a DC one and get rid of the rect. bridge!? I guess there's AC just before it, am I right?!