Trouble shooting booster

Started by bassplaya12, February 08, 2009, 10:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassplaya12

I just tried shoving my BYOC confidence boost into a 1590a enclosure.  Its a tight fit but i got stuff in there.  I went to fire it up and a couple weird things happened.  When the power supply is in, but there is no chord in the input the LED lights up very bright.  When i put a chord in, the LED weakened and looked as if it was dying.  When playing in bypass, signal flows fine and there is sound (some static but i know its just a crappy connection on one of my solder spots).  When engaged, nothing.  Weak LED and no sound.  Any one ever encountered this?  What should i do?  It worked fine before i tried wiring it with led and such.

kurtlives

Read about debugging in the FAQ and the thread at the top of the page.

Every single person on the board has had a build that did not produce sound. There is no one thing that causes this.

Things to check...
Solder joints
All ground points have continuity with ground?
Have a limiting resistor for the LED?
V+ shorting to ground?
Bypass wired right?

Etc...etc...etc..
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

petemoore

.  Its a tight fit but i got stuff in there.
  Clue #1...
   I went to fire it up and a couple weird things happened.  When the power supply is in, but there is no chord in the input the LED lights up very bright.
  Clue #2
  ....sounds like a big voltage drop causes the LED to dim when the input cables input sleeve makes contact with the Gnd./Sleeve lugs of the jack, completing a short circuit.
  I would prefer the LED be switched with everything elses power at the input jack, but in this case it seems to be a way of reading voltage input and then voltage drop.
  Tight fit/ stuff in there, very dim LED...perhaps there's a shorted PS, remove the battery and test for continuity between V+ and Gnd. [beep mode of DMM].
Convention creates following, following creates convention.