Strange noises on some notes from a Laney TF200

Started by ZiggyZipgun, February 09, 2009, 10:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZiggyZipgun

I'm borrowing a small practice amp, and I've only been using the clean channel, but I noticed a slight electrical buzz when I play a B, B flat, or C.  To investigate, I kicked in the first drive channel, and it magnified it - definitely an electrical sizzling noise while that note is ringing out, and much more pronounced if I pick harder; once the note fades to a certain point, the noise suddenly stops.  It's a Laney TF200 Series 2 amp, which has an ECC83 (12AX7) in the preamp.  I'm not sure what voltage it runs at, and I don't know how much effect it even has on the sound, but the amp does sound pretty damn good for a little 1x12" combo. 

I know this isn't stompbox related, but has anyone run into this problem with this or another type of amp?

petemoore

but has anyone run into this problem with this or another type of amp?
  Yes.
  ~Could be the tube. Easy enough to try another.
  Could be something else...isolate the amplifier from vibration [set it ona chair or whatever...off the cabinet], at your own risk..bump the amp [don't beat it, just bump it a little from front/back and side].
  If it's not something like what those techniques would surface...how old is the amp ?
  And the answer to the next question would be: "Of the times I've had these kinds of 'wierd' sounds, the fix was either quick and easy or quickly went to difficult".
  Most of the times it's been a funky something like a speaker cable or something outside the amp, or a tube or loose tube socket. Bill had a speaker 'flex-wire' [between the tab and the cone] go intermittent once...took a while to even decide the cabinet was a problem...then pushing one cone in delicately there was a click from the other cone [4x12'' cabinet]...took a while to find that wire touching itself where it'd broken, the 'weld'...difficult also.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.