Small tube/ss combo question

Started by svstee, February 09, 2009, 10:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

svstee

Not exactly a stompbox, please forgive me, but I find myself in need of a small combo amp for jazz band practice at school. currently using a fender frontman 15W, not to great. I am concerned solely with cleans, and was planning on going homebrew SS, but I had an idea. Use a pentaboost type circuit as a preamp, then run it into an SS chip amp for the poweramp. Was thinking maybe an LM4950 (7 watts) or perhaps something a little bigger.

Any thoughts, comments, or snide remarks?

Ripthorn

If you want power, use the lm3886 (not lm386).  I would just go all ss.
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

km-r

do you play with a drummer?

15 watts may not be loud enough without cranking it...
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar.  If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

petemoore

Power Supply.
 Heatsink.
 Layout.
 The layout and power supply for the pre-amp shouldn't be skimped on.
 The chips work fine [amazing for a little chip], I chose Lm3886T [..'T' I think it was 'L'?...the 3886 chip option with insulated tab for easy heatsinking, and shot for more like only 2/3rds of the max stated 68W of output, it sounded like 40watts.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

svstee

It is pretty quiet, I leave my Frontman on 2 or 3. I have looked at the 3886, but it seems like to much power for what I need. The LM4950 is easy to use, smallish and cheap, that's why I was attracted to it.