Orange 30R crush amp schematic?

Started by LEON.01, February 11, 2009, 06:36:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LEON.01

Anyone have, or know where i can get the schematic for the Orange 30R crush amp?
The OD on it is one of the best i've ever used (heard)! and want to see if i can incorporate it into a stomp box.

Cheers.

StereoKills

To my knowledge, Orange has kept pretty tight control over their modern amp schematics. If you do come across it though, that's an awesome idea. I'd love to have a stompbox with an Orange style distortion.
"Sometimes it takes a thousand notes to make one sound"

LEON.01

Quote from: StereoKills on February 11, 2009, 09:50:09 AM
To my knowledge, Orange has kept pretty tight control over their modern amp schematics. If you do come across it though, that's an awesome idea. I'd love to have a stompbox with an Orange style distortion.

Will let you know how i get on! Think your right though, can't find them ANYWHERE!!!!  ???
I opened mine up to see if i could decipher the layout! Nope! All i could make out was a TL072 ic! lol!

Will anyone on here be able to tell where the OD circuit is from photos? If so i'll open it up again.

km-r

we could work on it if you provide us with good gutshots and board shots....
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar.  If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

LEON.01

Quote from: km-r on February 11, 2009, 09:31:50 PM
we could work on it if you provide us with good gutshots and board shots....

On the way!

Thomeeque

Funny, as a fresh owner of  Crush 10 I was looking inside too, but to find out why the hell OD sounds *so* horrible :icon_mrgreen: Either 30R is something completely different or we have very different appetite for OD sound ;) But on the other hand I like it's clear (or just really lightly crunched) sound..
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

StereoKills

The light crunch is the sound I like with the Crush series. For a serious Orange od though, I'd have to go for the Tiny Terror sound :)

Thomeeque

Quote from: StereoKills on February 12, 2009, 11:02:47 AM
.. For a serious Orange od though, I'd have to go for the Tiny Terror sound :)

Yep, exactly..  :icon_mrgreen:
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

StereoKills

That's an awesome build. Very very nice job. I like how you kept the same visual flavor of the original.

Thomeeque

Quote from: StereoKills on February 12, 2009, 11:59:09 AM
That's an awesome build. Very very nice job. I like how you kept the same visual flavor of the original.

Thanks! It was very new experience for me, since it was first time I did (knowing my limits at certain areas ;)) order some tasks (namely metal work and powder coating) from real professionals - huge difference :) I still have to finish it, cover and bottom is missing yet (maybe I will shift off OTT design at this point and go for classic wood cabinet, still deciding..).

markusw

Quote from: Thomeeque on February 12, 2009, 11:27:11 AM

Very cool. Looks fantastic!   8)
Food for thought..... :)
You don't happen to have all those great pics in a zip archive?  ;)

markusw

One (likely dumb) question: what does the PI switch do soundwise?

Edit: a buddy of mine found a box of ~100 Mullard EL95 tubes from his father.
So I'm currently searching for schems. The 15W would fit 4 EL95 tubes nicely  ;)

Thomeeque

Quote from: markusw on February 12, 2009, 12:30:07 PM
Quote from: Thomeeque on February 12, 2009, 11:27:11 AM
Very cool. Looks fantastic!   8)
Food for thought..... :)

Thanks! :)

Quote from: markusw on February 12, 2009, 12:30:07 PM
You don't happen to have all those great pics in a zip archive?  ;)

PM-ed

Quote from: markusw on February 12, 2009, 12:56:09 PM
One (likely dumb) question: what does the PI switch do soundwise?

In "Marshall" position there's bit more headroom for signal, phase inverter get's saturated lately (so on the other hand you get more distortion in "TT" position from preamp). Position "Vox??" is there just because I had 3-position switch (originally for clipping diodes) and this values I have seen on some Vox amp schematics, I don't hear difference to TT position to be honest - but I have bought new more sensitive and open sounding speaker cabinet (Vox V212 Bn) few days ago, I can try again.

If you are interested in OTT cloning, I advice this thread. There's few more details about my cutie and fitting comments from Aleksander Niemand (Tubewonder amps) around page 8 as well..

Quote from: markusw on February 12, 2009, 12:56:09 PM
Edit: a buddy of mine found a box of ~100 Mullard EL95 tubes from his father.
So I'm currently searching for schems. The 15W would fit 4 EL95 tubes nicely  ;)

Cool, good luck!!

T.

LEON.01

Quote from: Thomeeque on February 12, 2009, 10:54:52 AM
Funny, as a fresh owner of  Crush 10 I was looking inside too, but to find out why the hell OD sounds *so* horrible :icon_mrgreen: Either 30R is something completely different or we have very different appetite for OD sound ;) But on the other hand I like it's clear (or just really lightly crunched) sound..

Lol! must be different in some way! I use the amps OD to play to Guns n Roses, cant match the tone with ANY pedal!!! I found the OD on this amp perfect for it.
I agree with the slightly crunched sound too! i use it for my clean channel.

Any chance of the schematic for your tiny terror clone? Well, the OD bit anyway. Cant make it out from the whole thing. LOL, at us amateur schematic readers!  ;D

Thomeeque

Quote from: LEON.01 on February 13, 2009, 05:49:01 AM
Quote from: Thomeeque on February 12, 2009, 10:54:52 AM

Lol! must be different in some way! I use the amps OD to play to Guns n Roses, cant match the tone with ANY pedal!!! I found the OD on this amp perfect for it.
I agree with the slightly crunched sound too! i use it for my clean channel.

30R is probably more serious deal - plus you have probably Les Paul guitar with humbuckers, I have single-coiled Strat, this can make big difference too..

Quote from: LEON.01 on February 13, 2009, 05:49:01 AM
Any chance of the schematic for your tiny terror clone?

Yep, no problem - schematic of my preamp is on my page (last two pics), rest matches original OTT scheme, which you will find here on the first page (Ask and ye shall...). Only difference there is that I'm using 12VDC for preamp filaments and I'm grounding circuit to chassis more "gently" ;)

markusw

QuoteIn "Marshall" position there's bit more headroom for signal, phase inverter get's saturated lately (so on the other hand you get more distortion in "TT" position from preamp). Position "Vox??" is there just because I had 3-position switch (originally for clipping diodes) and this values I have seen on some Vox amp schematics, I don't hear difference to TT position to be honest - but I have bought new more sensitive and open sounding speaker cabinet (Vox V212 Bn) few days ago, I can try again.

If you are interested in OTT cloning, I advice this thread. There's few more details about my cutie and fitting comments from Aleksander Niemand (Tubewonder amps) around page 8 as well..

Thanks a lot for your sharing your findings!  8)

minatour87

some orange scats can be found at:http://www.schematicx.com/browse/orange/

there is a distortion pedal called orange peel over on freestompboxes.org