TO-220 case heatsinks?

Started by cpnyc23, February 12, 2009, 08:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpnyc23

I'm about to put together one of Dano's Subcasters but I don't have a heatsink for the regulator.  Until I get one via the mail, can anyone recommend a way to make one? 

Much appreciated.

-chris
"I've traveled the world and never seen a statue of a critic."    -  Leonard Bernstein

earthtonesaudio

I'd suggest looking in a defunct old computer power supply first.  TO-220 heatsinks galore.  Failing that, just hack up a bit of metal to fit in the enclosure without touching anything, drill a hole and bolt it on.  Remember the tab connects to one of the terminals, so don't let it touch anything!

cpnyc23

"I've traveled the world and never seen a statue of a critic."    -  Leonard Bernstein

frequencycentral

Or you could use an 18 ohm / 3 watt voltage drop resistor instead of the LM317 - simpler and cheaper - you are running it on 12 volts right?

Or you could use a 7806 instead of the LM317.

Having tried all three methods with 6111 subminis I have to say I prefer to use a 18 ohm / 3 watt voltage drop resistor for simplicity.
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

cpnyc23

I've considered using a 18 ohm/3W resistor but to get one, I'd have to order it.  I'm just looking for a quick fix.

-chris