Eagle acting strangely?

Started by Solidhex, February 13, 2009, 02:55:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solidhex

Yo

I was just looking at a board I made using Eagle. I noticed some routing that looked like it could be simplified so I brought opened up the board file in Eagle to fix it. I realized a resistor was connected to my +9 supply that shouldn't be ( on the board ). When I clicked on the ripup button a yellow line remains insisting that a connection needs to be made between those two points when there is no connection in the schematic. Anyone know why Eagle would create this phantom connection? I get no error warnings with my DRC or error checker. I don't get the " board not consistent with schematic " warning either. Anyone experience this or know why it would happen?

--Brad

Solidhex

Yo

I think I have a clue. I put some pads in to allow for different sized caps. I copied those pads from other places in the board like some I had attached to ground and +9. I thought I was just copying the pads themselves but apparently the copies also want to be connected to whatever signal original pads are attached to as well. Its something I won't make a habit of in the future although I'm sort of surprised I didn't get any error warnings...

--Brad

Cliff Schecht

Right click on the pads you placed and click "Name". If it has the same name as your voltage net (i.e. VCC, 9V or whatever) then Eagle will want to connect that pad to the VCC node. Change the name to "N$**", with the asterisks being the name of the net that connects to the capacitor pad you're interested in expanding. Or, better yet, go to the schematic window, find the library named "wirepad" and place these on your schematic (choose an appropriate size). This gives you a visual reference of where the extra pads are connected to.

Solidhex

Yo

Thanks Cliff. I'm using a mac actually but if you select the name function it accomplishes the same thing.

--Brad

tranceracer

Interesting tips I didn't know about changing the Name trick!

You may also try to relocate the connection of one or both of the connection points of the  "yellow" line components are connecting to in the schematic.  This has worked for me a few times.

Sometimes there may not be enough clearance between between the pads for a trace to be set, so you get the yellow line.  You may have to reposition some of the components or minimize the clearances between pads and traces.

If everything looks good I've just ignored the yellow line...  But there's something about that little yellow line that just doesn't sit right w/ me when I ignore it even tho the ckt works!   ;)

Also what version of Eagle are you using?  I just upgraded to Ver 5.3 and so far it seems to be more "intelligent" in regards to autorouting than the previous version I was using and the grid refreshes automatically.  Best and most stable version so far IMHO.

Just noticed that they have a new version 5.4 out now!   :D

Solidhex

Yo

I'm still on the old version of Eagle. I was sort of waiting it out for them to work out the kinks before I switch over.  Are you using a mac Tranceracer?

--Brad

tranceracer

Quote from: Solidhex on February 14, 2009, 05:02:19 PM
Yo

I'm still on the old version of Eagle. I was sort of waiting it out for them to work out the kinks before I switch over.  Are you using a mac Tranceracer?

--Brad
Hey Brad,
Using a 1.8GHz P4 PC.  They've worked out a lot of kinks since the early versions.   :)

-bK