New vero layout: ProCo RAT

Started by cathexis, February 13, 2009, 04:54:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renegadrian

THX for the hint on the FILTER pot, didn't know that one...I thought it would act as a classic tone pot, that increases the highs going CW.
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

cathexis

Renegadrian

I am becoming mad about the diodes part... :icon_evil: I just soldered two wires instead of the diodes on the board, one at the first track from the bottom and one on the second track. I connected those two to a DPDT, middle lugs. I soldered two 1N4148 and two red LEDs at the other lugs, they are soldered correctly as for the orientation.
I already made a diode switch for another effect, so I know how to do it.

I had the same sound at both positions. Actually the switch doesn't work at all, cause I just desoldered it and the sound was the same...Tried another swith, but no luck, still the sound is exactly the same...with Si, with LEDs or with nothing...
Also I soldered the two wires after and not before the C10 electro cap, as to follow the schematic, but that didn't change anything...
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Quote from: Renegadrian on May 08, 2009, 12:40:56 PM
I am becoming mad about the diodes part... :icon_evil: I just soldered two wires instead of the diodes on the board, one at the first track from the bottom and one on the second track. I connected those two to a DPDT, middle lugs. I soldered two 1N4148 and two red LEDs at the other lugs, they are soldered correctly as for the orientation.
I already made a diode switch for another effect, so I know how to do it.

I had the same sound at both positions. Actually the switch doesn't work at all, cause I just desoldered it and the sound was the same...Tried another swith, but no luck, still the sound is exactly the same...with Si, with LEDs or with nothing...
Also I soldered the two wires after and not before the C11 cap, as to follow the schematic, but that didn't change anything...
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Weird, I wonder if the switch is faulty?

Also, you did more wiring then you need. You only need to send one wire from the diode location to a SPDT middle lug. And then solder two diodes on one end and two LED's on the other end of the SPDT switch. Tie the ends of all 4 LED/diode's together and run a single wire to the other side of the diode location on the board.

Renegadrian

The switch isn't faulty, but I tried anyway another one with no luck, as I have already written (you didn't read that)

I use this kind of layout - I know it can be made in different ways, as you suggested, but this switch wiring is correct, as you will agree...Middle lugs are connected to the two board tracks. It MUST work!!!

finally verified this layout tonight. Sounds great! I used values for the voltage divider from the GGG Rodent which is a little different (but probably doesn't affect the sound). I also used a germanium diode in series with a silicon for one of the clipping diodes (left the other one as a single silicon). This seemed to give me a bit more volume and a smoother sound.

Using the OP07 and the diode mod, I have a smoother and darker Rat. It is very nice, not as harsh as my Keeley Rat. But I think I'd like to try the LM308 someday and see if I get anything different.

I only have linear pots right now, and all of the controls are heavily weighted towards the first quarter turn of the knobs, so I am looking forward to getting some logarithmic pots.

Thanks again for the layout!

Renegadrian

I left it a couple of weeks alone and then reapproached it...
Finally solved my diode switching problem...Now I think I'm in love with that RAT!!!
I find the Si diodes quite good, but man, how I love to switch to LEDs clipping!!!
The sound is so full, and I love both high an low gain settings!!!
The FILTER acts great, more than every tone control I used in other circuits...
The LUBE control acts on one of the filters, and yes you can say it really shapes the sound, expecially on low gain!!!
I think it's a great pedal and also quite versatile, it can go from screaming leads on full gain to almost Tubescreamerish tones turning down the gain and playing both with FILTER and LUBE...I have to build one for myself, the one I made is for a guy I know that asked for it...

cucole

Hi everyone.

This is my first post here. Fantastic forum for DIYers.

I'm thinking about making the veroboard rat. This layout by Cathexis is very nice, small enough to enter in my prefered box.
I have notice, though, that R9 and C10 positions in the circuit are inverted if you take tonepad's schem (and most of schems at www) as a reference. I wonder if this may have any influence in sound or functionality.  ??? Any electronics theory knowledge there?

Thanks in advance.

Renegadrian

Hi there and
From the little I know, the components placement you say shouldn't change the overall sound, so you can build it that way.
I did and a fantastic pedal came out...

Scruffie

Hey all,

I've just built from this layout and i'm suffering a bit of a problem of oscillation... (Cheers for the help with the clipping Renegadrian  :icon_wink:)

I did however make some changes I used 1M log pots for all three as that's all I could get hold of... which may be the culprit...

And I used an NE5534AP Chip... but Vodka Mod's use this too so I assume it's not that.

Just wondered if anyone else had an issue with this due to the layouts density.

Cheers for any Suggestions Guys,
Scruffie.

kurtlives

The 1M drive pot will greatly increase gain. Use 100K if you can, if not use resistors in parallel to lower the pots value.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

Scruffie

Ah I was right about it being the culprit, okay i'l chuck some resistors in there, Cheers!

grolschie

Quote from: Scruffie on July 24, 2009, 03:18:18 PM
And I used an NE5534AP Chip...

I recommend using a CA3130EZ. It's a very nice op-amp for the Rat. I like it more than the LM308N.

svstee

Quote from: Renegadrian on May 28, 2009, 06:10:21 PM
I left it a couple of weeks alone and then reapproached it...
Finally solved my diode switching problem...Now I think I'm in love with that RAT!!!
I find the Si diodes quite good, but man, how I love to switch to LEDs clipping!!!

What was wrong? I had the exact same problem on a Hao Rust Driver, never did sort it out.

Renegadrian

I was looking for the problem in the board - actually it was the switch, I had a faulty one - changed the switch and it worked right. Rust Driver you say, curious I am having problems with mine ATM...(add angry icon here)

Scruffie

Gotta say... another awesome layout by Cathexis plus...

Adding the switch between Diodes and 3mm Red LEDS.. reallyyy works, in LED mode it loses the function of the filter control atleast on mine (could be due to using parallel resistors making it more Rev Log I guess) but it sounds so much bassier and really opens up the pedal from going to smooth overdrive on 1N4148 diodes to a Nice Bassier distortion on LEDs... I built this for a friend but I am certainly building myself one now, oh and the NE5534A Chip works great Grolschie  although I haven't had a chance to try out the CA3130EZ as my usual supplier doesn't stock it... but i'd like to hear it's affect.

In summary, this pedal needs a clipping switch and Cathexis, when is your next layout arriving!

cathexis

Quote from: Scruffie on August 11, 2009, 11:31:47 PM
In summary, this pedal needs a clipping switch and Cathexis, when is your next layout arriving!

I had a busy summer... I have a vero layout for the Morley Sapphire Flanger coming up though! Just needs verifying. And the DOD Death Metal Dist :) Actually lots more, I just need time to verify properly, as this particular thread proves :)

Scruffie

Please start taking my suggetsions lol, i've started building them as you release them lol...

Fair you've had a busy summer though as have I, and flangers are good, aslong as they don't cost me an arm and a leg and I can get the chips (I really wanna build your ADA Flanger but i can only get 50 board accross not 54!) DOD sounds tasty, if you wanna hand with layouts or testing gimme a PM, i'd be glad to help.

scotthands

i don't even think this layout works, i had to change some of the stuff near the output section to get it to work and i followed it to a T

Renegadrian

only 2 posts and you're bitchin'...wow
This layout obviously works, it was successfully built at least 3 times (cathexis, myself and scruffie), so what you think is obviously wrong.