New vero layout: Nathan Alexander Smith's Magnus Modulus

Started by cathexis, February 13, 2009, 04:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathexis

Hi,
There is a new veroboard layout in my gallery: Nathan Alexander Smith's Magnus Modulus delay/modulation unit/tremolo. Oh yeah, it's a booster as well. A great pedal, candy for the knob twiddler. I just finished it, so I haven't gotten my head around half of it yet, but it's a lot of fun. A bit noisy, but that's the PT2399 for ya.

Schematic and great project file is here:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=72527.0

I added an effects loop, in case you want MORE modulation -  :icon_eek: - seriously, try it! I also added a layout for a tempo indicator for the delay time, neat if you want to beat synch your delay time to the mod tempo. I don't remember who designed the PT2399 tempo indicator, great add-on, it works with the Rebote 2.5 as well. Unfortunately, I never got it to work with the Echo Base.

This layout isn't very elegant, again lots of space wasted to fit in my favourite huge 1uF TF caps, I also took out some other stuff I had planned to put in there. Buy the PCB instead! As always, I post mostly to show off... :)

There's a sound clip as well, check out the last part which has a phase 90 in the fx loop, mucho modulation :)

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/cathexis/

LARS

ForcedFire

Awesome!

Thank you very much for the great sound sample!

I don't know if you can edit on this forum but if you can you can take my name out of the post, it looks funny.

ForcedFire

Also, I'd love to see your finished pedal. The other one's in your gallery look great. If you have the time it would be great to put this sample on youtube.

ForcedFire

Can you confirm that 220k is the right resistor?

I have some on order, my build has the 240k.

What other parts are stock/modded?

cathexis

Thank you for the feedback, great job on the design - this is one cool pedal!

Quote from: ForcedFire on February 13, 2009, 09:08:14 PM
I don't know if you can edit on this forum but if you can you can take my name out of the post, it looks funny.

I know I've edited posts before, and I see people do it all the time - but I can't for the life of me find the edit function today. I think there used to be a button for that. I'm sorry about using your name like that, but I always try my best to give credit to the designer of the circuits I make vero layouts for, and you had your name in the project file. If you or anyone else know how to edit a post, let me know and I'll fix it.

Quote from: ForcedFire on February 13, 2009, 09:09:43 PM
Also, I'd love to see your finished pedal. The other one's in your gallery look great. If you have the time it would be great to put this sample on youtube.

Sure thing! I'm in a building rage right now, haven't boxed anything in a while, quite eager to try out the vero layouts I made over christmas. It's also a long time since I painted anything, these days it's mostly dymo labels over aluminum gray...
I've never youtubed, actually, but if you like to you can go ahead and download my clip (there's a small button on the bottom right corner of the player in the gallery) and post them on youtube. I'd be honoured.

Quote from: ForcedFire on February 13, 2009, 09:31:34 PM
Can you confirm that 220k is the right resistor?
I have some on order, my build has the 240k.
What other parts are stock/modded?

I used 220k for the three resistors around the clock, and I honestly don't really know what they do. Well - actually I originally used three 220 OHM resistors, which led to a fair bit of debugging - the clock was just dead :) No other parts are altered from your schematic, at least not intentionally. The only addition I kept was the effects loop, since I really like that option in a delay. Some day I'll make one with trimpots for all controls apart from the delay time and feedback, tweak it to perfection, and use it when I play with my band.

Looking forward to your next design,

LARS

ForcedFire

Thanks a lot Lars!

If you get a pic of the board now or the enclosure later, if you ever box it up, I can make a youtube clip out of that.

John Lyons

Very nice, clips sounds great as well.
How did you implement the FX loop?
Was there a schematic you worked off?
Just curious if it was buffered or...

john
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

cathexis

Quote from: John Lyons on February 15, 2009, 01:30:48 AM
Very nice, clips sounds great as well.
How did you implement the FX loop?
Was there a schematic you worked off?
Just curious if it was buffered or...

john

Thank you, John, I appreciate your feedback as always.
This is nothing fancy, just interfering the path of the return, I think. I'm sure there would be more elegant ways of achieving this, and I've noted that some effects don't work as well in the loop - maybe a buffer would help. My Phase 90 works well, though, and that's really what I'm after - phased delay returns are cool, and with the MM:s own modulation added you can get some pretty spaced out effects, especially if you set the feedback high. This is how I did it:

LARS

John Lyons

Ok, great, thanks for the diagram.
I agreee, the phased delay sounded nice!

john

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/