Quick painting question

Started by tehfunk, February 14, 2009, 05:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tehfunk

Couldn't seem to find in the search, but where or what do I put the box on while painting so that it doesn't stick to it when it dries or just what do i do. I was gonna take a piece of wood cover it with newspaper and put the box on it and paint it then let it dry while covering it with a box so dust doesn't get on it. So, does it need to be raised off of the newspaper, like with toothpicks?
Carvin CT6M > diystompboxes.com > JCM800 4010

The tools of the artist give you a chance to twist and bend the laws of nature and to cut-up and reshape the fabric of reality - John Frusciante

bluesdevil

I take a metal clothes hanger, bend it in half and then shape it like a stand with the "hook" bent up like a handle. You can shape the top half to fit snug inside your enclosure and the bottom half can be spread a bit to stabilize the whole thing..... works great!!!
       I just use a cap from a spray can or some other object that's a few inches tall to put under the bottom lid when painting that.
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

Andi

I have assorted blocks of wood, one (or two) for each enclosure I use most. Each is big enough to sit "inside" the enclosure holding it above the cake-decorating turntables I use to paint on. Then they go into a toaster oven which keeps the dust off.

punkin

+1 on the paint can lid...really, anything to get it up off the surface. I also like to hang the item when possible. By the way, I just finished painting a box...didn't realize how much thickness there was to the paint and the clear. Next time I'll over-size the holes just a wee bit...none of my pots, switches would fit...had to ream the paint out a bit.
Ernie Ball Music Man - JPM, THD Univalve, Grace Big Daddy, PepperShredder, BSIAB2, FireFly Amplifier.

Outlaws

I like using a piece of styrofoam and 4 toothpicks.

railhead

1. Go to your local hardware store with your enclosure.

2. Find out what thread size the screws are.

3. Buy a pre-died/threaded rod that matches.

4. Cut it to a foot long or so, bend one end, then wrap some 18-gauge wire around it so that you can string it onto a coat hanger.

5. Screw the threaded rod into the enclosure.

6. Paint and hang to dry.

cpnyc23

I dry all of my enclosures inside of a shoebox with a flip-top lid.  I prop the lid up a just a little to make sure there is some airflow.  The main reason I use the shoebox is because the amount of dust and nonsense flying around my apartment can be frustrating (we live in a brownstone that is at least 120 years old and we have a cat).

Inside the box, the enclosures do stick to the bottom a little but it has never been a problem or left marks from removing them.

-chris
"I've traveled the world and never seen a statue of a critic."    -  Leonard Bernstein

tehfunk

Thanks for the help everyone, all of those answers were useful.
-Sam
Carvin CT6M > diystompboxes.com > JCM800 4010

The tools of the artist give you a chance to twist and bend the laws of nature and to cut-up and reshape the fabric of reality - John Frusciante

davent

A block of wood, 4 screws and double stick foam tape.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

John Lyons

I use tin cans that food comes in.
Just squeeze the open end until it fits inside your box (if using a small box).
Re-use is a wonderful thing.
You can always screw the cans to a piece of wood for more stability.

john

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

noelgrassy

A great test of your relationship and smudge free paint job is to have your girl friend
put her balled-up hand in the box and hold it out at arm's length. This way an extra
set of eyes will avoid having any "holidays" or missed spots that can detract from an
otherwise excellent paint job. Make sure she's aware of drying times so she doesn't
beat the shit out of you and accidentally drop the box.

These other fellows must be single. :icon_rolleyes:
"Of the demonstrably wise there are but two: those who commit suicide, and those who keep their reasoning faculties atrophied by drink." Mark TwGL

elshiftos

Rest the inside of box on the end of a piece of 2x1", but use double sided foam adhesive or a bit of sticky side out, rolled up duct tape to keep it in place. Mount other end of 2x1" in a workmate or screw it to a base board (as I did).
Simple but very effective! :D

Captainobvious99

I read someones idea a while back about using cups flipped upside down. Styrofoam/ plastic, whatever. Flip the cup upside down so that the small end goes inside the enclosure and keeps it suspended off of the newspaper/drop cloth.

Sounds like a very quick and cheap way to do it.

m-theory

The caps from your spray cans can work in a pinch. 

Zen

Quote from: Captainobvious99 on February 16, 2009, 10:19:49 AM
I read someones idea a while back about using cups flipped upside down. Styrofoam/ plastic, whatever. Flip the cup upside down so that the small end goes inside the enclosure and keeps it suspended off of the newspaper/drop cloth.

Sounds like a very quick and cheap way to do it.

every time I try that I spill my drink!!

::)