Smallbear 1uf 50v for Neovibe? And diode bridge?

Started by jimbob, February 18, 2009, 07:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbob

I cant seem to find these. They have the 16v ones. Do they have to be 50v? Also what transformers do they  have that would work? Also, I didnt see a diode bridge. Does that go by a different name?
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

petemoore

I cant seem to find these. They have the 16v ones. Do they have to be 50v? Also what transformers do they  have that would work? Also, I didnt see a diode bridge. Does that go by a different name?
  Look in 'Diodes and Rectifiers'
  here's a Wiki:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode_bridge
  Do they have to be 50v? Only if they see <50v, otherwise I'd use the next larger voltage incrament capacitor, smaller rating than the applied voltage is at least somewhat catastrophic, so I hear, various states of chemical substances may be explosively released, very like overcharging a battery.
  If you can figure out what the actual voltage that position will actually have applied to it in use...perhaps a smaller voltage cap can be used...I believe it may have been specified as 50v for a reason.
  ?The power supply be 15+/-15 = 30v max potential ? if memory serves [are you using regulators?] .
  There's a way to use 2x caps to increase voltage, messy, 2x as big,...gangly.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

R.G.

Quote from: jimbob on February 18, 2009, 07:35:33 PM
If you're in the USA, Mouser has them, about $0.10 to $0.15 each. They only need to be rated for the actual voltage across them, and that's pretty much limitec y the power supply voltage. In this case, it's regulated to 15V in the preamp section and only gets to 20 or so in the LFO section, so 25V is good enough.

Let me tell you why they were specified at 50V. When I was doing that, I looked for 25V rated electros. All I could find was 50V. The manufacturers want to make as few types as possible, and since the 1uF fits in their smallest can even at 50V, they tend to make them all 1uF 50V, none lower.

Obviously some makers do go lower, but many do not. 1uF 50V is more common and probably cheaper than 1uF 16V because of the volumes.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.