MN3007 ADA Flanger Clone Questions

Started by Paul Marossy, February 19, 2009, 11:37:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fender3D

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on February 23, 2012, 10:50:05 AM
OK. If I keep R28 at 1M5, and I were to install a trimmer pot for R27.... what value would you suggest? If 100 ohms is too low  ;D

1K might be a nice start...

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on February 23, 2012, 10:50:05 AM
The series pot (Threshold pot) is only 10KB. Should I try a 100K multi-turn trimmer in place of R27?

Better a 50k-100k pot instead of 10k...  :icon_wink:

EDIT:

lol
Charlie beats me by 12 seconds... my BBD is longer than his... :icon_mrgreen:
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: moosapotamus on February 23, 2012, 10:57:41 AM
What value are you using for the main threshold control? Increasing that from 10K up to 100K should help, if you haven't done that already.

I am using the called-for 10KB pot. I have read about using a 100KB in place of it but, I really wanted to stay "true to form" to the original if at all possible. It's not looking that way though  :-\ According to the factory alignment specs, there really is no "adjustment" for the Threshold level. It is basically a procedural op check with no reference as to what is next if the op check is BAD  ::)

Sweet looking build, BTW!

Thanks Charlie! Great board to work with makes it all possible  ;)

Quote from: Fender3D on February 23, 2012, 10:57:53 AM
1K might be a nice start...

Might be worth a try. Swapping out the Threshold pot now will be a bit of work as it will require digging out the PCB to get to it. This is all crammed into a 1590DD  :icon_eek:
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

moosapotamus

Quote from: Fender3D on February 23, 2012, 10:57:53 AM
lol
Charlie beats me by 12 seconds... my BBD is longer than his... :icon_mrgreen:

12 seconds!!! What took you so long? You're not even in BBD territory any more! :D

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on February 23, 2012, 11:07:10 AM
I have read about using a 100KB in place of it but, I really wanted to stay "true to form" to the original if at all possible. It's not looking that way though  :-\ According to the factory alignment specs, there really is no "adjustment" for the Threshold level. It is basically a procedural op check with no reference as to what is next if the op check is BAD  ::)

Yeah, "true to form" is a bit of a stretch with this circuit, anyway. I'm up to rev.5, and that's on top of all the previous "factory" revisions.

If it weren't for the hassle of disassembling your shiny new pedal, I'd still say that swapping in a 100K threshold pot would be your best bet.

There has been a bit of renewed interest in this circuit, lately, and there are a few things that could be updated in the documentation, too. Since I happen to be in the process of rebuilding/updating my website, I'm going to clean this stuff up, too. Might even have to order another batch of PCBs. 8)

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: moosapotamus on February 23, 2012, 12:25:42 PM
Yeah, "true to form" is a bit of a stretch with this circuit, anyway. I'm up to rev.5, and that's on top of all the previous "factory" revisions.

Indeed! It sure would be interesting to know what the exact pot value was in the original AND re-issue versions of the A/DA Flanger  :icon_cool:

If it weren't for the hassle of disassembling your shiny new pedal, I'd still say that swapping in a 100K threshold pot would be your best bet.

Might do just that!  :icon_eek:

There has been a bit of renewed interest in this circuit, lately, and there are a few things that could be updated in the documentation, too. Since I happen to be in the process of rebuilding/updating my website, I'm going to clean this stuff up, too. Might even have to order another batch of PCBs. 8)

Let me know if you decide to do any small runs of the SAD1024 version  ;)
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

Fender3D

12 seconds!!! What took you so long? You're not even in BBD territory any more! :D

lol
I got the longest SAD on Earth (1024*1024)

:icon_mrgreen:
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

moosapotamus

moosapotamus.net

Valoosj

~ Charlie

I really should get back to this too. Only have to wire it up and then keep my fingers crossed that it works :D
Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

Govmnt_Lacky

Performed a successful surgical operation last night!  ;D

Removed the 10K Threshold pot and replaced with a 100K.

Happy to report that the patient is fully recovered and that the patient reports an increased range of motion  8)

Definitely worth the risk!!  :icon_lol:

moosapotamus

moosapotamus.net

njkmonty

im about to build my second moosapotomus flanger but stuck on resistor 7
if you look at the above pic there are 4 holes in particular,
1 to the left of the "R" outside the  R7 Rectangle
the 2 holes within the R7 Rectangle  which are joined, and..
the hole on the right of the R7 Rectangle coming from the positive side of c5 can cap

where do i put resistor?   the 2 holes outside the R7 Rectangle?

12Bass

Quote from: njkmonty on October 06, 2012, 05:42:46 AMwhere do i put resistor?   the 2 holes outside the R7 Rectangle?
On the schematic, R7 goes between pins 4 and 12 of IC2.  So, that means that the left lead of R7 is inserted to the left of where you see R7 indicated on the parts layout picture, and the right lead of R7 is inserted to the left of where C5 is indicated.  Happy flanging!
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

LaceSensor

Hey all

Whats the best place to start troubleshooting if I have nothing at the output?

Ive got 7.5v at Vb (1/2 supply) and 15v ish on the main voltage rails to the ICs etc
I have LFO working, I have sound on various pins of the quad opamps... stumped.

Thanks

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: LaceSensor on November 10, 2012, 02:17:53 PM
Hey all

Whats the best place to start troubleshooting if I have nothing at the output?

Ive got 7.5v at Vb (1/2 supply) and 15v ish on the main voltage rails to the ICs etc
I have LFO working, I have sound on various pins of the quad opamps... stumped.

Thanks

Hey Lace,

You might want to post a new debug thread with the applicable voltages from the "What to do when it doesn't work" thread.

Have you verified all your offboard stuff?

oldschoolanalog

Get schematic, signal source, and audio probe/O'scope. Start probing at the output and work your way "backwards".
I know; sounds like the "simpleton" method. It does work however.
I do it like that but then again "simpleton" applies in my case...  ;D
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

LaceSensor

OK I can do that
Im just in a fudge right now. a lot of things arent working for me (inc personal stuff :/ )

LaceSensor

Fixed. Output volume control was on the bit of perf that also connects to ground....IDIOT

haha

well at least it was an easy fix once I opened my eyes and mind

Skruffyhound

Ok, I'm back looking at tuning this in better, thanks to Charlie's excellent videos.
However, I'm not having much luck getting the frequencies tuned. I can obviously get one or the other but  no matter what I do one remains out of range.
I think the closest I came last night was 2.9 Mhz and 69Khz.
I checked the power supply and found I was a little low too - 14.55V on the output of the regulator. I will investigate the power issue tonight, but is there any chance these two things are related?
Any ideas?

armdnrdy

Hi Aston,

Are you refering to the adjustment of TR4 and TR5? If so I believe that I have a fix for you.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

moosapotamus

Interested to hear what you have in mind, Larry.

Aston - Instead of trying to nail specific numbers, how does it sound to you? 2.9Mhz is kind of high for my taste. Personally, I don't hear much effect above ~2.5Mhz. But there is a lot still going on below 69.6Khz. So I usually tune the whole range down a bit anyway. Are you able to try something similar? IMO, the sound is more important than the numbers. 8)

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net