Show us your BIG effects

Started by Taylor, February 23, 2009, 02:21:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcoMike

:icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek:
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

this is incredible!!!! I think I'm fainting... you need a startrek suit to play that stuff!!!
Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible.

Gregory Kollins

that was possibly the greatest thing I have ever seen in my entire life.
It requires a silver jump suit.

David

Quote from: DougH on March 03, 2009, 11:05:49 AM
Not mine, but a "big effect" nonetheless:

Doug, that's Doctor Brown's pedalboard from "Back to the Future", isn't it?
Although it DOES look like something that The Flaming Lips, Gary Numan or Hawkwind might use...

DougH

I think it was an ebay listing or something from 10 years ago or so (supposedly from around here- Central FL). Looks like the guy parked it in his driveway for the photo shoot. It's a classic...  :icon_wink:
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

DougH

This is the biggest effect I've built. Not as big as some of the others but pretty damn big considering what it is:

Taylor

Quote from: DougH on March 03, 2009, 12:43:54 PM
This is the biggest effect I've built. Not as big as some of the others but pretty damn big considering what it is:

Ha, cool. This would fall into the "unnecessarily big, empty box" category I mentioned in my first post. Is this a Lovetone clone or something? I know their stuff involves those big rotary switches often.

I have heard a few stories about this: that it was David Gilmour's, made by Pete Cornish; that it was made by just some guy to be like Gilmour's, and that it has nothing to do with Gilmour. I don't know the truth, but it is pretty amazing. There are detailed pictures here:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3624733&postcount=64

Of particular intrigue to me are the labels "MASTER OSCILLATOR" and "WHO KNOWS". Great stuff.

DougH

Quote from: Taylor on March 03, 2009, 05:09:11 PM

Ha, cool. This would fall into the "unnecessarily big, empty box" category I mentioned in my first post. Is this a Lovetone clone or something? I know their stuff involves those big rotary switches often.

Yeah, it's a Brown Source derivative I did I call the "ToneSource". I needed a bigger box for the rotary switch but not that big. :icon_wink: But the box was lying around collecting dust and I had a bunch of junk parts not doing anything so...

I have heard a few stories about this: that it was David Gilmour's, made by Pete Cornish; that it was made by just some guy to be like Gilmour's, and that it has nothing to do with Gilmour. I don't know the truth, but it is pretty amazing. There are detailed pictures here:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3624733&postcount=64

Of particular intrigue to me are the labels "MASTER OSCILLATOR" and "WHO KNOWS". Great stuff.

I'm 99.99% sure this has nothing to do with Gilmour... Maybe someone with cross-fertilized Gilmour/Star-Trek fantasies... :icon_wink:

Thanks for linking those other pics. I remember them now. The thing I found funny was the "vocals", "marshal", and "p.a. interface" mounted in the back of the amp speaker cabinet... Huh?!?  :icon_mrgreen: This is a classic for sure. That "chorus/echo" looks like the Roland Space Echo to me (?).

Mike Burgundy

Quote from: DougH on March 03, 2009, 09:25:06 PM
That "chorus/echo" looks like the Roland Space Echo to me (?).

Correct - it *is* a Roland space echo - more precisely a chorus echo. Knobs, layout and that level meter all point strongly to a Re301 chorus echo afaik.
It's obviously modded, with a new added control plate replacing the jack panel on the front adding 3 controls, and relabelled SonS (Sound on Sound, obviously )

Whoknows = brilliant... Reminds me of a keyboard player I know who owns a Vox Continental with a tiny sign with an arrow pointing to an arbitrary key saying "THIS key, that's what it's all about"

MarshaL? PHlanger? OsciLator?

axg20202

I guess this is my biggest excluding Cornish-style boards, which is cheating :-)

ianmgull

:icon_eek:    Does that thing have wheels??   Because it looks like it has wheels!? I'm just imagining rolling that thing into a gig....   :D

trixdropd

Quote from: axg20202 on March 04, 2009, 07:44:04 AM
I guess this is my biggest excluding Cornish-style boards, which is cheating :-)

I need an enclosure just like that. do you have a link or medal number for it?  Thanks.

jeremy

axg20202

IIRC, it's a Hammond DD (7.38" x 4.7" x 1.3"). I bought it from Small Bear.

MarcoMike

so, if hammond DD is ok, I can show my D enclosure ;)
but I really feel we cannot compete with the startrek control board or the portable-synth... :(:(

or what about this guitar-shaped fuzz??  :P

Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible.

hooya

Quote from: axg20202 on March 04, 2009, 07:44:04 AM

[snip]Meatball picture[/snip]

I'm in the process of making one of those.  It's in a Bud brand die cast box about the same size... 7.5 x 4.75 x 2 or so.

Obviously still a work in progress - I've yet to order the rotating switches and the knobs...

axg20202

Quote from: MarcoMike on March 04, 2009, 11:29:44 AM
so, if hammond DD is ok, I can show my D enclosure ;)
but I really feel we cannot compete with the startrek control board or the portable-synth... :(:(

Cheeky. Yeah, but multi-effects boards aren't really fair game - not that it's a competition :-)  I've made bigger items than a DD, but they contain lots of effects, so it's no surprise they are bigger...otherwise I'd just post a picture of some Jean Michel Jarre-like creation and have done with it.

enquiryband

Quote from: dano12 on February 24, 2009, 07:31:11 AM

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

do you have the schematics for this? how long did it take to build? how much???
The mark of an educated man; to entertain a thought without accepting it. Aristotle

Taylor

Quote from: axg20202 on March 04, 2009, 12:07:44 PM
Cheeky. Yeah, but multi-effects boards aren't really fair game - not that it's a competition :-)  I've made bigger items than a DD, but they contain lots of effects, so it's no surprise they are bigger...otherwise I'd just post a picture of some Jean Michel Jarre-like creation and have done with it.

As the OP of this thread, I hereby authorize multi-effects (in fact I mentioned them in the first post). Please post your JMJ monstrosities.

Taylor

svstee

This won't get any awards for biggest or most aesthetically pleasing build, but here it is:

Thread about it here:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=75148.0

chi_boy

Quote from: Nikolay on February 28, 2009, 02:53:40 PM
my biggest one is maybe this one:

All pictures are here: http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y23/Naudio/FC12%20Footcontroller/

and this one:

Dude, you gotta be kidding.  The stuff you post looks too freakin' cool.  How do you find the time to do all of the stuf you do? 
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." — Admiral Hyman G. Rickover - 1900-1986

The Leftover PCB Page