Tape delay Simulators

Started by sjaltenb, February 23, 2009, 02:32:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frequencycentral

No you're not forcing me! - I'm way into the idea - I miss my Copicat too much. I'd be happy to do a layout when the schematic comes together.
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

jacobyjd

So as I was walking back from the coffee pot here at work, some of my ideas were coming back:

1. Use a 4T rotary switch for each 'head' to determine where the feedback goes--to the head it came from, or to any of the others.

2. Mute switches for the output of each 'head' after the feedback divide (see block diagram on p1 of this thread)

The conjunction of these two options would allow serious patchability--basically any combination of heads in series, with any/all the mixable outputs on switches. Essentially, you could run 4 parallel heads w/ their own feedback, 4 series stages with 1 cumulative feedback, and everything in between.
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

Nasse

I believe if many separate switches and controls are used it soon becomes impossible to find useable and good sounds between not so useful, so I say think some way to give it presets taht control all the "heads" and feedback

But thats just what I think
  • SUPPORTER

jacobyjd

Quote from: Nasse on October 28, 2009, 11:42:20 AM
I believe if many separate switches and controls are used it soon becomes impossible to find useable and good sounds between not so useful, so I say think some way to give it presets taht control all the "heads" and feedback

But thats just what I think

That's something I kicked around, too, but when it came down to it for me, some of the complexity is necessary, and anyone who wants to simplify it can do so very easily, especially if a PCB is made for it.

In reality, this thing won't really take the form of a stompbox for me at all--it'll mainly act as a 4-channel delay rack unit--or something, and more than just something that can simulate tape delay.

I ask myself, "can I figure out a mini-Moog?" If the answer is yes, then I'll set it up to be no more complex than that. Organizing the controls into easily-readable columns will be a safe bet, and (if using rotarys for feedback) some sort of visual signal tracing on the control panel will ensure that it will be usable.
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

mth5044

I have been toying around with a similar idea for a while now, but more along the lines of recreating the binson sound and not tape delay in general.

I was going to have it go like this:

Input -> Buff n' Blend send -> common pt2399 buffer -> 1/2 SA571-> (4) parallel pt2399 circuits, set time, 1 repeat -> feed back switches for each pt2399 -> 1/2 SA571 -> tone control -> mixer -> Buff n' Blend return -> output.

I'm adding the compander because I really don't like the distorted delays the pt2399 generall puts out. I'm still a little confused about the compander.. as the GGG PT80 has the repeats section outside the the compander, so I hope feeding the out back into the delay chain all inside the compander will be ok.

Feedback will be controlled with a quad-ganged pot attached to each of the feedback switches acting as a volume control.

Another thing I'm hopping is that having the buff n' blend and TL072 buffer before the compander then just having the signal split four ways after the compander won't cause any trouble. Initially I thought it might be necessary to have a buffer and compander for each pt2399 circuit... any ideas on this part?

I also wanted to the EM81 level indicator tube, but I'll just get a massive 10mm LED for the level indicator and tack it on after the buff and blend return. External on/off switch so it can sit on top of the amp or on the floor. I think I'll make a PCB for it instead of perf... that would be a tragically long project.

Anybody want to shed some light on my dimmed areas of knowledge?  :)

bent

Long live the music.....