Gain pot works backwards on Tripple Fuzz...?

Started by SpencerPedals, February 23, 2009, 08:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpencerPedals

So I just finished up a Tripple Fuzz (this layout http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/TCobrettis-Stuff/album161/TimeE_Trip_Fuzz_Vero.gif.html but also a volume) and it works and sounds great except for the gain pot working backwards...so I re-read the schematic and it looks right so I decided to swap lug 1 and 3 to see what happens...it's still backwards.  So I wired it back the way I had it originally (the way the schematic and layout says) and as I turn it clockwise, the gain decreases.  Anyone know why that is?  Ideas for troubleshooting from here would be much appreciated.  It's a little thing but really annoying.  Thanks in advance,

Steve

LEON.01

Try wiring the blue wire to lugs 1 & 2 and the black one to lug 3. (colours off of layout)

A good trick is to solder your wires on to your board without the pots, put croc clips on the wires and test the pots before you solder them. This way you can suss what wire goes to what lug and try out different pots!!!

If Crocodile clips were the size of humans, they'd rule the world!!!

petemoore

The TF's gain pot is a variable resistor, 0.0R -~10k between Q1E and Gnd.
  Highest gain is lowest resistance [0.0R]
  With the pot at min. or maxxed, a wiper and an outside lug connect [if the pots working good], turn the knob the way you want max gain to be, find the connection between two of the three lugs, solder the E and Gnd. wires to them.
  The spare outside lug can be tied to the wiper.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

SpencerPedals

Leon and Pete - thanks for the replies.  I realized after I had put everything away last night what I probably had done.  When I swapped the two wires from 1 to 3, I never took the jumper off 2, so I wasn't really swapping much.  I just wired it up as Leon had described (swapped ALL of it over, like I thought I was doing the first time) and it now works in the correct direction.  So it is backwards of what the layout says for gain.  It works very well now (crackle ok).  I'll have a pic up in the pics thread after the led-securing adhesive takes hold.  Thanks again for the replies, guys. 

Steve