What kind of stomp switch...

Started by obblitt, February 27, 2009, 10:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

obblitt

Should I use to switch between two pots? I want to be able to stomp between a low gain setting and a higher gain setting on the drive control of my RAT clone.

Also, I'm just curious about pot values for use as the drive control. I see a lot of people say that higher value pots yield more drive (???) and it would be cool to use something like that for this little mod I'm planning.

Thanks!

obblitt

I do want to use two LEDs, one for each setting.

svstee

Why do you need two? If it is off, its the first. If it on its the second.

petemoore

Why not just one side of a DPDT, signal input to the center [pole] and an output arrangement [volume pot etc.] for each throw.
  Then wire the LED's supply to the pole of the other side, an led/resistor on each throw.  ?
Just thought it through, both pots would contribute to signal loading from wiper/gnd. Which...wouldn't actually be a problem if you're not turning them down very far and use large-ish value pots, a 3pdt doing the shown [dpdt] switching but using the last column of lugs to do the LED's switching.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

obblitt

Quote from: svstee on February 27, 2009, 10:59:53 PM
Why do you need two? If it is off, its the first. If it on its the second.

I like pretty lights.

Dragonfly

Easy enough...

drawn EARLY in the morning (still waking up) but should work just fine....

if you are using this as the output volume (end of the circuit) then I'd add a pulldown resistor on the output

frokost

Add a current limiting resistor for the LEDs or they will burn out.

petemoore

Sometimes the pot is the pulldown resistor.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Dragonfly

Quote from: frokost on February 28, 2009, 08:50:53 AM
Add a current limiting resistor for the LEDs or they will burn out.

Unless you use LEDs with built in resistors.

If not, a small resistor between LED+ and 9V+ will be fine

Dragonfly

Quote from: petemoore on February 28, 2009, 09:07:12 AM
  Sometimes the pot is the pulldown resistor.

But not in this case, because the switch changes between the pots...you can still get some pop, thus the reason for adding the pulldown on the output. Not always necessary, but a $.02 precaution....

obblitt

Thanks for the diagram, but how do I change it for use as the gain control?

Dragonfly

Quote from: obblitt on February 28, 2009, 06:24:00 PM
Thanks for the diagram, but how do I change it for use as the gain control?

Instead of connecting lug 1 on the pots to ground, you'd connect lug 2 and lug 1 (on each pot) together, just like a normal Rat gain control.

RickL

In which case you'll only need a dpdt switch. Since each pot only has two wires going to it you can get away with switching only one. It doesn't really match which. Connect the other two wires together permanently.