Your favorite Phase project?

Started by mth5044, March 03, 2009, 04:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DougH

Quote from: Mark Hammer on March 05, 2009, 03:37:15 PM
The Ross is very close to the first issue Small Stone in many ways, but actually quite different than the Bad Stone.  The Bad Stone used the FETs in a hex invertor chip, and did not employ a "hypertriangular" LFO.  That doesn't necessarily make it sound bad, but it was different.

I had a Bad Stone back in the 70's. It was just okay, and I eventually got rid of it. I prefer both the MXR 90 and 100 to that. The first phase shifter I played with was a Small Stone though. A friend of mine borrowed one from someone, around '73-'74 timeframe. I remember liking it real well.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

Heemis

Your project sounds great mac!  I'm definitely intrigued.  So many options... I've never worked on an LDR based project before so I think I might give this a try.

Mark Hammer

Quote from: DougH on March 06, 2009, 11:58:41 AM
I have an easyvibe PCB so I think I'll just build that. It just seems, "easier"... :icon_mrgreen:
Sorry... :icon_wink:
Nothing to apologize for, Doug.  Easy is what I was looking for.  Etching 2 Ropez boards and making one a dedicated vibe is "easier" than running all the wiring and making room for it and all the needed switches.  But if you have an Easy-Vibe board already, well that's probably even easier.

DougH

No, I was apologizing for the bad pun... :icon_mrgreen:
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

finkployd

I keep a GGG mistress flanger and now a neovibe on my board, so I prefer the phase 45 for when I want a more subtle modulation effect that does not overpower the tone at all. I think it has a very nice unique sound.

LP Hovercraft

I really like and would recommend the Badstone build. The phase shifting is much more of a modern sound (even though it is a 70's era pedal) than is with the phase 90, 100 or even the Ross (my runner-up choice).  It is definitely not subtle.  The phase shift is loud and clear even on a clean guitar.  I built one for someone who preferred Boss PH-2 and PH-3 sounds and it did not disappoint.  It seems more transparent than the latter day Boss pedals as an added bonus.  Nothing against the venerable Phase 90, it's really cool for what it does as a more vintage sounding unit. 
I've been really curious about the Maestro Stage Phaser as another deep phase shifter.  The sound samples of that unit on mode zero are pretty amazing.