Mixing Ferric Chloride from Powder (Maplin)

Started by Deano, March 05, 2009, 10:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deano

I'm looking to etch my first PCB soon and I have bought some FeCl from maplin in a powder/crystal form.
It says that it will make 0.5l of solution.  Shall I mix the whole batch together and store it in a plastic bottle for later use, or should I mix only enough for what I need to use at the time?  I plan to use a tupperware box to etch in.  I read somewhere that the crystals can give off quite a bit of heat when mixed/ re-hydrated.  Any tips?  Should I use boiling water to mix them with or use cold water and stand the tupperware tub in a bath of hot water to speed etching?

MikeH

I'd mix with warm water.  And I don't see any reason not to mix the whole batch. BUT!!- remember; ALWAYS add the acid to the water; pouring the water into the acid will cause some pretty exciting, but bad, things to happen.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

MohiZ

I don't intend to steal this topic but while you're at it:

Hey, out here where I live I haven't been able to locate any solution form of ferric chloride whatsoever, and all I can get are these weird grains that you're supposed to dissolve into water. Does anyone know what's the concentration supposed to be? I'm thinking I put too little of the grains into water because the etching is so devilishly slow, but I don't want to use more than is needed, either.

Here's a picture: http://www.partco.biz/verkkokauppa/images/tuotekuvat/f/ferrikloridi-large.jpg

Ripthorn

I mix mine in batches (just enough for however many boards I will do) and use a 60W light bulb over the top to keep it warm.  Also, agitating and etching with the board suspended face down in the solution will help.  I mix into warm water and just kind of estimate (e.g. use about half the powder in about .25l of water).  It has worked well for me thus far.
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

newfish

Hi,

I too have the powder from Maplins.

I mixed half my powder into half the amount of warm water.  From memory I think I used about 50ml water.

I keep mine in an old medicine bottle (washed thoroughly...), and simply pour our as much as is needed into a small plastic tub (from an Indian Takeaway, would you believe).

I keep *this* tub warm during etching by floating it on a larger tub of hot water, but have also been known to put the takeaway tub on a USB cup-warmer - which also does the job.

Good luck with your etching, I'm sure you'll get the hang of it.

p.s. Warming your boards before immersion can also help.  I leave mine on a radiator (flat, face down) for 10 minutes or so while I prepare the etching bath.
Happiness is a warm etchant bath.

MikeH

Quote from: newfish on March 06, 2009, 04:48:45 AM
I keep mine in an old medicine bottle (washed thoroughly...), and simply pour our as much as is needed into a small plastic tub (from an Indian Takeaway, would you believe).

The spice residue helps speed up the etching.  Sometimes I just order the extra-extra spicy curry and etch my boards in that  :icon_wink:
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

newfish

Happiness is a warm etchant bath.

gez

Rapid sell a 'safe' etching system.  All it comprises is a long, plastic bag, some clips to isolate the board from the etchant at various stages, and etchant.  Might seem a bit of a rip-off for the money, but the etchant seems to be a lot better than the stuff that Maplin sell (and everyone else - it's all made by the same manufacturer).  The etchant that comes with the kit looks different (it's lighter) and appears to be more efficient: I've etched using bags for a while, but the Rapid stuff does the job quicker.

Just thought I'd mention it.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Boprikov

Tape "handles" as in this picture make it easy to follow the etching process.

http://web.telia.com/~u85920178/data/pcb-etch1.jpg

By occasionally lifting the pcb up you can see when it is ready. Occasional lifting also breaks possible air bubbles under the board. Bubbles can leave round, un-etched areas.

rnfr

i mix mine per batch at about 1:3 powder to water ratio, then put on rubber gloves and rub it in the etch with a sponge.  sometimes i'll let it soak a bit before the rub, but this speeds up etching profusely.  it seems as if you can rub the copper right off once it's been soaking a bit.