Suggest overdrives for shootout

Started by audioguy, March 05, 2009, 11:33:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

audioguy

I want a low gain overdrive to push a high gain amp for more umph when needed.
Im looking for something a little differnt... not your run of the mill TS circuit. But I kinda need it to be quiet, due to the amount of gain on the amp.
I'm lookin to build 5 or 6 and do a shoot-out type thing.

Suggestions?

shredgd

you might simply build a booster. Try the Electro Harmonix LPB-2: you won't be disappointed!
Protect your hearing.
Always use earplugs whenever you are in noisy/loud situations.

My videos on YouTube: www.youtube.com/shredgd5
My band's live videos on YouTube: www.youtube.com/swinglekings

audioguy

You're right I do like the LPB2 in front... but one of the things Im looking to do with the OD pedal is to have the flexibility in the circuit to allow me to alter the overall tone of the guitar as well as drive it... I probably should have mentioned that.

Ripdivot

I highly recommend Jake Nagy's Blue Magic. I've had one for years and love it. I did quite a few mods to it over the years to suit my needs and to this day I still really like it. Another one that has been a favorite as of late is the Skreddy Screwdriver. It is very sensitive to picking dynamics and can go from very mild overdrive to distortion to really thick fuzz. They both have plenty of volume on tap as well.

DougH

Try this:  http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/DougH/booster/ToneSource/

I don't mean to toot my own horn but it sounds very good for pushing an amp further that is already cooking pretty good. There's plenty of boosting power and it has a lot of tonal flexibility. Can be very 'transparent' or push upper mids/highs like a Rangemaster, etc.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

John Lyons

Yeah, try the Tone Source. It has a nice boost/light over drive sound that works well to juice up an amp on the edge.
Basically a Lovetone Brown source that works better :)

Also check out the Omega by runoffgroove The cool thing about this one is that it's got a variable input frequency
cut off so you can go from rangemaster to LBP type sounds depending on the amp and tone desired.
It's got a slight bit of grit but it boosts an amp nicely.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Heemis

+1 on the Omega from runoffgroove.  It's a really versatile booster,  the range pot really gives you a ton of control over the tone of the circuit, and it's got some nice grit at 9v.  I run mine at 12v sometimes for a bit more headroom, it really makes a difference in that circuit.

DWBH

Electra distortion -> Trotsky Drive

Toney

Quote from: audioguy on March 05, 2009, 11:33:58 AM
I want a low gain overdrive to push a high gain amp for more umph when needed.
Im looking for something a little differnt... not your run of the mill TS circuit. But I kinda need it to be quiet, due to the amount of gain on the amp.
I'm lookin to build 5 or 6 and do a shoot-out type thing.

Suggestions?

Peppermill.

My absolute suggestion. It does exactly as you ask. preserves your guitar tone and drives so sweetly. It made me smile the day I built it!