News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

ICL8083?

Started by Arn C., March 05, 2009, 04:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arn C.

ICL8038 Precision Waveform Generator/Voltage Controlled Oscillator

Are there any musical projects that use these IC's?

Thanks!
Arn C.

The Tone God

Voodoo Vibe I believe.

Andrew

Arn C.

That has a 8038  .   I will have to download the data sheet on this one and compare them.
Thanks!
Arn C.

Taylor

A few years ago I was designing a ring modulator that used it. In theory I think you could make a very small RM with very extensive capabilities using that chip. I think it was the XR8038 I was looking at actually, but I believe it's about the same.

I tried to get a free sample and made the mistake of putting my real phone number in the form. For weeks, I was getting calls from Exar looking to "tour my facility" and discuss how many thousands of products I would be producing per year. My girlfriend picked up the phone and was quick enough to pretend to work for the "company" - we had them going for a while, but when the guy was making flight arrangements to tour the factory, I had to come clean. I was really, really broke and those chips were like $5 if I remember correctly. Still not worth it.

What's cool about that chip is that all the waveshaping is internal, and it even has vibrato and FM built in, I think. You could make a wonderful tiny monosynth out of that chip.

The Tone God

Just be careful because I seem to remember that the XR8038 and ICL8038 had different voltage limitations. Check that datasheets to be sure.

Andrew