Stereo jacks/plugs with 4 terminals?

Started by hday, March 07, 2009, 03:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hday

I'm looking for stereo 1/4" jacks and plugs that have 4 terminals instead of 3. I know these exist in some forms. The new iPhone headphones use them, but I'm looking for something a little beefier. The idea is to replace the mono jack on my guitar with a 4 terminal stereo jack, so it will function with the matching tip/ring/ring/sleeve plug, but will also work with a standard mono cable.

I've seen a "Marshall" PCB mount jack with 4 terminals, which is what I think I'm looking for, but I haven't seen any plugs. I suppose I could even make the jack, if I could only find the plugs. Do these things exist? Maybe I'm thinking too outside the box.  :D

hday

*bump*

I've looked around. Mouser has nothing like this, but there has to be something like this somewhere, right? Is there a name for this sort of thing? Maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing...  :icon_rolleyes:

John Lyons

What are you trying to do with it exactly?
A 1/4"stereo plug only has 3 treminlas, tip ring sleeve, so
that''s why you one see 3 terminal jacks.
A switching jack would have more terminals but you haven't
said that you need switching.

john

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

hday

I want to put a circuit in my guitar, but there became a problem of batteries. So instead of trying to wire everything up inside my guitar, I want to house the circuit in an enclosure on my pedal board so I can power it with a wall wart, and route the circuit back to the guitar.

I thought about changing the jack on my guitar, but I like the idea of being able to use a standard 1/4" cable with my guitar when not using my circuit. I've also thought about adding a secondary jack on my guitar, but I really don't want to mess with the finish either.

I've seen plugs with 4 terminals before, but they're all 1/8" rather than the 1/4" that I'm looking for. Maybe I'll just have to fire up the lathe and make them myself.

Toney

Well it sounds like you are after a standard power switching jack. They mostly appear as enclosed types. Futurlec has them for 75 cents I'm sure Smallbear does too.
Ummm, what is the advantage of having it onboard if the power is derived from yr pedal board? Do you want to make quick adjustments on the fly?
Most onboard stuff, boosters and such are very low powered. A single battery usually lasts months. Years even.

RedHouse

Quote from: hday on March 09, 2009, 09:45:51 PM
I want to put a circuit in my guitar, but there became a problem of batteries. So instead of trying to wire everything up inside my guitar, I want to house the circuit in an enclosure on my pedal board so I can power it with a wall wart, and route the circuit back to the guitar.

I thought about changing the jack on my guitar, but I like the idea of being able to use a standard 1/4" cable with my guitar when not using my circuit. I've also thought about adding a secondary jack on my guitar, but I really don't want to mess with the finish either.

I've seen plugs with 4 terminals before, but they're all 1/8" rather than the 1/4" that I'm looking for. Maybe I'll just have to fire up the lathe and make them myself.

Careful now, you don't wanna end up like this:  http://dozin.com/jers/guitars/tiger/tiger_schematic.htm   :icon_wink:

RedHouse

Quote from: RedHouse on March 09, 2009, 10:38:46 PM
Quote from: hday on March 09, 2009, 09:45:51 PM

Careful now, you don't wanna end up like this:  http://dozin.com/jers/guitars/tiger/tiger_schematic.htm   :icon_wink:

Just a joke BTW.

WLS

I just used one in a box but can't remember where I picked it up at. Either mousers or radio shack.
Since I've breadboarded it I can only blame myself.

But It's Just A Chip!