Tremolo which one?

Started by ampman50, March 07, 2009, 03:57:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ampman50

I'm thinking of building either the modified EA or the Heart Throb. I've heard the sound samples from GGG for the EA but I haven't been able to find any samples of the Heart Throb.

Taylor

Clips of the Heartthrob are here:

http://www.mrdwab.com/john/soundclipspage.html

I really like the sound of this one - I'll be building one soon.

ampman50

I was on that site earlier today but didn't scroll down fare enough. Thanks
The Heart Throb sounds like what I'm looking for, something close to the old Fender tremolos

Cliff Schecht

I'm going to try to post some soundclips of my new trem tonight, I don't think y'all will be disappointed :).

Cliff Schecht

I'll create a new thread when I post the schematic, but here is a soundclip for the still unnamed tremolo:
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/test1.mp3

Sounds really good with amp distortion IMO. I guess I should mention that this is a stereo tremolo (although mono operation will be available with both sides mixable) and allows for TONS of different trem options from chop to smooth and anywhere in between. I think, as of now, there are 9 knobs and a switch for inverting one LFO from the other.. Hope everybody likes it and sorry for the bad playing! There is no EQ'ing or compression going on, just guitar-->trem-->amps-->mics-->internet.

P.S. When I start strumming in the second part of the clip, it sounds terrible :icon_redface:.

Taylor

Is there any filtering/phasing happening there? It sounds a little phaser-y on top of the amplitude modulation, but maybe it's just a psychoacoustic effect having to do with changing amplitude and the apparent loudnesses of different frequencies. Hmm.

blanik

Quote from: ampman50 on March 07, 2009, 03:57:16 PM
I'm thinking of building either the modified EA or the Heart Throb. I've heard the sound samples from GGG for the EA but I haven't been able to find any samples of the Heart Throb.

i never tried the hearthrob but i tried the EA and was dissapointed, it sounds great by itself but doesn't like gainy distortions in front or after... i settled for the Tremulus Lune... it's really good

Cliff Schecht

Quote from: Taylor on March 07, 2009, 11:47:42 PM
Is there any filtering/phasing happening there? It sounds a little phaser-y on top of the amplitude modulation, but maybe it's just a psychoacoustic effect having to do with changing amplitude and the apparent loudnesses of different frequencies. Hmm.

It's the stereo effect from running the two channels with the same LFO at different depths and offsets. The two channels are run off of the same LFO with adjustable offset and gain on said LFO signal. This allows you to completely match the two trems, offset them a bit (as I did in the soundclip) and get anywhere in between. It also does a very nice chop sound (I'll post more soundclips soon). I also cleaned up the LFO bleedthrough with a slight circuit change and, hopefully, any popping will go away when I get this off of the breadboard and get a proper PCB laid out.