delay tails after bypass on a rebote 2.5?

Started by studiostud, March 08, 2009, 11:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

studiostud

I've been searching around the forum for info on a Rebote 2.5 mod that allows for delay tails to continue after bypassing.  All I can come up with are threads on doing this for the Echo Base.  Since the Echo Base is also PT2399 based, it seems logical that I should be able to do this with the Rebote 2.5 as well.  Does anyone have any info on this?  TIA for any input.

Jeff
Builds Completed: Big Muff. Fuzz Face. Tube Screamer. Rat. Crash Sync. Harmonic Jerkulator. 6-band EQ. Rebote 2.5. Tremulus Lune. Small Stone. Small Clone. Microamp. LPB-2. Green Ringer. Red Ranger. Orange Squeezer. SansAmp. MXR Headphone Amp. Bass Fuzz.

MikeH

Yeah, the Echo Base switching is exactly what you need- you should be able to find info on that thread about how to do it.  Orrrrr- just build an Echo Base!  It's badass...
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

km-r

just keep the output of the rebote connected to the output of the bypass path...

my 2c

or you can add a switch in series between the ic2b and 1uf cap... whatever that makes...
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar.  If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

MarcoMike

I was about to suggest the same as Km-r... just leave the output connected... and make it disconnectable with a switch for proper true bypass if needed...
Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible.

slacker

If you just leave the output connected won't it cause tonesucking, because your guitar will be attached to the 100k resistor to ground on the output. You could stick a buffer in front of the effect to cure that, or do the other thing km-r suggested and use a switch to break the connection between IC2b and the 1uF cap. You'd need another cap and a resistor to ground between IC2b and the switch though to stop it popping.  That's what I was originally going to do with the Echo Base before I decided to use the electronic switching instead.

studiostud

I don't think True Bypass is entirely necessary.  The guy I am building this for is kind of obsessed with true bypass to the point where I'm not sure if he has anything on his board that isn't TB.  So it might actually be more beneficial to build this without.  He also runs entirely off a power supply and so doesn't need a battery wired so I would have space inside to add a buffer to it if necessary.  Any other feedback?
Builds Completed: Big Muff. Fuzz Face. Tube Screamer. Rat. Crash Sync. Harmonic Jerkulator. 6-band EQ. Rebote 2.5. Tremulus Lune. Small Stone. Small Clone. Microamp. LPB-2. Green Ringer. Red Ranger. Orange Squeezer. SansAmp. MXR Headphone Amp. Bass Fuzz.

studiostud

So here is what I tried... I took the output of the Rebote PCB to a SPDT toggle.  One side went directly to the output jack and the other side went back to the 3PDT switch.  What I got was less than desirable... the "tails" get significantly reduced in volume as soon as you hit the bypass switch, to a point where you can barely hear them unless you're really listening for them.  I do have an IC buffer installed before the PCB now and it didn't seem to help with this issue.  Is there something I'm doing wrong here? 

studiostud

So I tried a different wiring method but got the same results.  Here is an image of the layout.  disregard the lug placement on the stomp switch.  Everything on it is where it's supposed to be.

So what am I doing wrong?  The result sounds like a high pass filter that kills anything below about 2kHz and then lowers the volume a bit. 

studiostud

MikeH

Yeah, I don't think you're going to get away with this passively.  A comparison between the echo base schematic and the rebote schematic will show you what you'll need to do.  They are really similar circuits- in fact, by the time you're done adding the 'tails' switching, you're already 80% on the way to building an echo base.  Might just want to go all the way.... just sayin'...
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

studiostud

That's what I'm starting to learn.  Unfortunately, what I'm trying to do is add the option to a rebote circuit that I've already made.   :icon_confused:

SLACKER: would I be able to incorporate the tails section of the echo base circuit into my rebote without using a CD4066?  What would I need to use instead?

ianmgull

I am also trying to do this on a rebote 2.5 (echo base is next but I've already got a rebote board ready to be boxed). Here is my thought. Why would you not put the buffer AFTER the rebote board? I was hoping to try the same method with a SPDT that turned tails on/off. Does this sound more like it?

Mugshot

bumping an old thread.

what about taking the delayed signal (after the 33k resistor) and add a switchable buffer that is always connected to the output jack?
i am what i am, so are you.

studiostud

What kind of buffer would you use?  Like an IC buffer?  If you're planning to use an IC buffer, take caution regarding what other pedals you will be using with this one.  I made a rebote 2.5 for a buddy of mind and put an IC buffer in it because I knew he was a "true bypass freak" and probably didn't have any non-true bypass pedals.  But what I didn't know was that he already had a buff n' boost pedal and it did not play well with my delay.  After much testing/tweaking, I finally thought that maybe it was because of the buffer and as soon as I took it out, it was like the two pedals were best friends.

Mugshot

nope, just a simple transistor buffer with high input impedance to minimize heavy loading on the output path.

on mine, i plan to use the delay last in the chain, hence no other pedals will be affected by the rebote with its buffered tails. practical or just plain stoopid of me?  :icon_biggrin:
i am what i am, so are you.