java boost trimpots

Started by bagudan, March 12, 2009, 07:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bagudan

Hi . apparently I had luck building the java boost from torchy´s layout. PNP transistor, negative ground, and no noise at all? Surprisingly nice!!!
I set the 100k trimmer so that the collecter voltage is now 7 volts... allready sounds sweet. But what about the second (10k) trimmer. What is this for? Should i trim it to my liking by ear.? Or what do I do?

Thanks
_Kasper

chi_boy

Sorry I can't help, but where did you find Torchy's layout?  I have found reference in several threads (Found with the search button) but can't locate the actual layout.  The usual link is dead and it doesn't seem to be available anymore.

Cheers,
George
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." — Admiral Hyman G. Rickover - 1900-1986

The Leftover PCB Page

kurtlives

Quote from: chi_boy on March 12, 2009, 09:44:02 PM
Sorry I can't help, but where did you find Torchy's layout?  I have found reference in several threads (Found with the search button) but can't locate the actual layout.  The usual link is dead and it doesn't seem to be available anymore.

Cheers,
George
All of his layouts have been pulled. Unless you saved copies or can get others saved copies your going to be layout-less...
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

LEON.01

chi_boy

Quote from: kurtlives on March 12, 2009, 10:12:31 PM
All of his layouts have been pulled. Unless you saved copies or can get others saved copies your going to be layout-less...

Were they pulled for a reason?  By request perhaps?  Just curious.
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." — Admiral Hyman G. Rickover - 1900-1986

The Leftover PCB Page

kurtlives

Was kinda for a reason..he has a long history of issues with forums and such. Best not get into it, its long anyways. Just enjoy the layouts that are out there ;)
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

LEON.01

I got copies of most of his layouts just before they were pulled! Anything else you need, just give us a poke!!  ;D

Built this a while ago. Infact it was the first build i ever got working! Cracking pedal! Just didnt have an enclosure so it hasnt really seen the light of day!
I will re-connect the DC jack and have a play around with it, Should be able to tell you what that trimmer does then!  ;)

bagudan

chi_boy

Quote from: bagudan on March 12, 2009, 07:15:40 PM
Hi . apparently I had luck building the java boost from torchy´s layout. PNP transistor, negative ground, and no noise at all? Surprisingly nice!!!
I set the 100k trimmer so that the collecter voltage is now 7 volts... allready sounds sweet. But what about the second (10k) trimmer. What is this for? Should i trim it to my liking by ear.? Or what do I do?

Thanks
_Kasper

After doing some research, I guess I can help a little after all.  Go to GeoFx and search there for the Rangemaster article.  He explains how to use the two trimmers to bias the tranny.  If you buy an OC44 from small bear though, he already does the work and you can drop in a fixed resistor.

My nagging question is why use a tone control.  This thing is a treble booster, why cut trebble after boosting?  Just trying to understand, but for the moment it doesn't make sence to me.

GP

The Leftover PCB Page

bagudan

thanks...guess i´ll read the geo article again. I thougt only one of the trimmers set the bias voltage... unsure about the other one. Maybe because i installed a 10 k multiturn(what I had)....nothing really happens.
The tone control. I dunno? Maybe it´s just there if you want to to cut some of the treble of. I like it all the way up for lead. But maybe it could get handy to roll of some treble in other situations.

bagudan

Yeah, seems you were right(George P) Both of the trimmers are for biasing the collector.
Thanks-

chi_boy

Quote from: bagudan on March 15, 2009, 12:22:23 PM

The tone control. I dunno? Maybe it´s just there if you want to to cut some of the treble of. I like it all the way up for lead. But maybe it could get handy to roll of some treble in other situations.

I suppose the Java boost could do double duty as a mid boost or bass boost when the tone is rolled off with the 3 position switch in the mid or full positions respectively.

The Leftover PCB Page

kurtlives

Does anyone have a schematic for this?
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

chi_boy

Quote from: kurtlives on March 15, 2009, 08:50:52 PM
Does anyone have a schematic for this?

Found this somewhere, but not sure exactly where.

The Leftover PCB Page