News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

dc filtering

Started by 1878, March 15, 2009, 03:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello Everyone...

I never use batteries for effects on my board, so I invested in a regulated power supply & daisy chain. Problem is, I've noticed a very audible hum on some of my DIY effects. I recently finished an EA Tremolo build which, although working as it should, hums quite a bit. I hooked it up to a battery and it's silent. It's also quieter with my SG than with my Jaguar.

So, will DC filtering help ?? Also, is it as easy as soldering the + of an electrolytic cap to the + of the 9v socket, and the same with the two - connections ?? I'm confused.

Thanks in advance.

punkin

I suppose you could start throwing filtering caps at it but I'd be inclined to know a little more about the nature of the noise first. Is it AC ripple or ground loops. What sort of power supply are you using and is it adequately regulated. Is it being loaded down or is there plenty of giddyup left over? Do the pedals make noise when plugged into seperately or only when the audio signal cables are plugged between the boxes? Plug the power into both pedals but plug guitar and amp individually, are both pedals quiet? Then, does it noise up when the patch cable between them is plugged in? I'd try to break things down a little bit to isolate where the noise may be coming from.
Ernie Ball Music Man - JPM, THD Univalve, Grace Big Daddy, PepperShredder, BSIAB2, FireFly Amplifier.