Wah converted to volume?

Started by enquiryband, March 16, 2009, 12:33:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

enquiryband

Hi. New here. The resources are great and so helpful! I'm currently in the process of possessing three wah pedals and was wondering if anyone knew how I could convert one of them into a passive volume pedal. The pedals are two old thompsan crybabys and one newer dunlop hendrix wah. Any suggestions?? Thanks beforehand!
The mark of an educated man; to entertain a thought without accepting it. Aristotle

yeeshkul

Passive volume pedal is basically just a pot. You can do either that or try to lift the 4u7 cap from the ground.

German

There is Maestro Wah schematic. Just like CryBaby, with one switch added. Just like yeeshkul told

enquiryband

Quote from: German on March 16, 2009, 03:20:06 AM
There is Maestro Wah schematic. Just like CryBaby, with one switch added. Just like yeeshkul told
where can I find this? Anyone else got any suggestions with what I can do with these pedals since I really don't need three wahs?
The mark of an educated man; to entertain a thought without accepting it. Aristotle

German

I just have read first post and..
Take one of your wahs.. then put everything out(excepting jack's, switch, potenciometer).
Maybe you will need to change potenciometer. There are 25-100k usually. You will need 250K - 1M pot.
Wire it like simple volume control. That will be a passive volume control pedal.

syndromet

Make a feedback-loop like the TSA, and have the pot controll the feedback.

And whatever you do, don't destry the old wahs!
My diy-site: www.syndromet.com

yeeshkul

Find a Wah schematics (CB, VOX, Clyde , Jen...), you will see a 4u7(or 4uF) cap(by the coil). Insert a switch so that the switch will disconnect the cap-leg that goes to the ground. That's it.

ACS

Sure you want a passive volume pedal?  There's a VERY simple mod you can do (lift one resistor from memory) that in one step converts a wah in to a volume pedal.  Still active of course, but with the added benefits that a) you can make it switchable, and b) you haven't destroyed a perfectly good wah!

From memory this is covered in detail over at Geofex...

yeeshkul

fuzzo

Quote from: yeeshkul on March 16, 2009, 06:17:59 AM
Find a Wah schematics (CB, VOX, Clyde , Jen...), you will see a 4u7(or 4uF) cap(by the coil). Insert a switch so that the switch will disconnect the cap-leg that goes to the ground. That's it.

I always read that..

I'm sure you can find a trick to switch between vol/wha with the regular footswitch (but won't be a "tru bypass" anymore)

yeeshkul

The only thing that put me off from making wah/volume hybrid is the fact that wah usually goes the first in the pedal chain and volume pedal goes the last. Separate volume pedal makes more sense unless you are "all in one" freaks  :D ;)

German

No.. volume pedal "must" placed before overdrive/distortion pedals - just like wah.
You could do a "violin" sound with it - slow attack effect.

Why I put must in "" - that's becose it's a classic way of using.
Some people use wah's after overdrive/distortion pedals - but that is a totally different sound.

Ssmit

Quote from: German on March 16, 2009, 02:59:40 PM
Some people use wah's after overdrive/distortion pedals - but that is a totally different sound.

I like to do this on bass (with a fuzz pedal). It gives a more "synthy" or "screamy" sound.

ashcat_lt

If you intend to use the passive volume in place of the one on your guitar - including the high frequency rolloff we expect to hear when turning that knob down - you'd want it first, before any buffering so it can interact with the cable capacitance.  

I've actually done this, and found that the pedal doesn't turn the pot through its full rotation.  This, I think, is on purpose, to avoid damage from accidentally trying to turn it too far.  Unfortunately it means that you can't have it go from all the way off to all the way on.  You can usually turn the pot case itself to a point where it will either go all the way up OR all the way down, but you can't get both.  I tried to fix this by applying conductive silver paint to shorten the resistive strip, but did not have good results.

ACS

Quote from: yeeshkul on March 16, 2009, 08:35:28 AM
resistor? which one?  ;)

Um, yeah.  Resistor, capacitor... what's the difference really!?!??!

Yes, lift one CAPACITOR is what I meant to say...

noelgrassy

In my Maestro there's only a SPDT stomp switch that accomplishes the conversion to a volume pedal.
I'll attach the Boomerang Wah schem.

The pedal & switch-

The Boomer2 schematic shows a switch that doesn't exist...while the schemadix from inside the pedal is correct. An electrolytic cap is lifted to produce volume FX.

"Of the demonstrably wise there are but two: those who commit suicide, and those who keep their reasoning faculties atrophied by drink." Mark TwGL