My Multi FX build is done.

Started by svstee, March 20, 2009, 07:26:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

svstee

Gut Shot, kinda sloppy.

Thin and light!

This is my first foray into building multi FX, so please don't make too much fun of me.
I call it my Discrete Clipper, it is a EH-LPB into a Electra dist inspired fuzz into a R.O.G. Sili-Face, into a modded Electra distortion.
There are two DIP switching circuits to change diodes on the Electra style FX.
The enclosure is made of two unfinished steel studs bolted together.
My little brother wants one now with a SHO, a FF and a MXR Dist+.

punkin

Hey! That's pretty cool. What is the enclosure/support material? Looks like a piece of some sort of construction material. Very nifty...I'm getting a few ideas of my own right now.
Ernie Ball Music Man - JPM, THD Univalve, Grace Big Daddy, PepperShredder, BSIAB2, FireFly Amplifier.

svstee

Quote from: svstee on March 20, 2009, 07:26:04 PM

Not my own idea by any means. I'm planning on doing the next one real nice, fully painted box and stained wood sides. This is just my cheapo one that I use to find out where I'm going to make all my mistakes , as well as my testbed.

Taylor

I get that you want to make it look more professional, but I actually quite like the look of it as it is. Even the funky yellow knobs are cool. I guess just because I'm so used to really slick boxes that we see in the Pictures! thread, the utilitarian/minimalist aesthetic is looking pretty nice to me these days, although I would swap the plastic stomp washers for metal ones. 

Nice job.

svstee

Yeah, metal would have looked better on this one. Those "funky yellow knobs" I got from Futurlec for 0.35$, I have them on most of my builds because I am depressingly poor.

Also, am I breaking any rules having my power and ground set up the way they are?

Taylor

I don't see any obvious problem - is there anything specific you think is trouble?

In general, if it fires up and does what you want it to do, I don't think you're breaking any rules. Higher-power devices like tube amps and refridgerators need to observe stricter rules with power distribution and where wires go, but 9v stompboxes are pretty forgiving.

Toney

Hey nice work Sean.

FWIW and for your next one, I'd think about having a bit more distance between the switches and pots for stomp security.
You may want to think about a sheet of flat plastic glued to the inside. Overhead projector cells cut to shape and glued down with auto trimmers cement are excellent for this. No surprise shorts.
Is that cloth covered wire?
Mojo plus  :D

R.G.

Quote from: punkin on March 20, 2009, 08:29:32 PM
Hey! That's pretty cool. What is the enclosure/support material? Looks like a piece of some sort of construction material. Very nifty...I'm getting a few ideas of my own right now.
See GEOFEX, "Steel Studs" and "More and Bigger Members" (http://geofex.com/Article_Folders/steelstud/steelstud.htm 8/2001 and 2/2002) and "Thoughts on Enclosures and Rack Mounting" (http://geofex.com/Article_Folders/FXRack/fxrack.pdf , 10/01/2003) for what I believe were the seminal articles on these enclosures.

A fairly large amount of my postings here are pointers to "newly-discovered" things which have been on Geofex for years. That's why I keep telling people to read all of Geofex - it will answer your next question (that you haven't thought of yet) too.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

R.G.

Quote from: svstee on March 20, 2009, 07:26:04 PM
This is my first foray into building multi FX, so please don't make too much fun of me.
I call it my Discrete Clipper, it is a EH-LPB into a Electra dist inspired fuzz into a R.O.G. Sili-Face, into a modded Electra distortion.
There are two DIP switching circuits to change diodes on the Electra style FX.
My little brother wants one now with a SHO, a FF and a MXR Dist+.

Nice work!

A little fine sandpaper, a little gray primer, a little auto touchup paint and it will be world class.

Of course, the Techno-touch of galvanized is always good too.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

svstee

Yeah, the geofex article was were I got the idea.
Toney, where are you talking about putting that plastic? I'm not quite following you.

Toney

I'm talking about a sheet running the length of the inside glued directly to the top.
What are you using there to mount the boards? Sitckybacked foam?
To make it 'gig worthy' I'd insulate the top of the inside. Why?
Well, all of those little boards only a few millimeters from all that metal, and the longer wire runs, I think any hefty bump could pull on the wires and cause a short.
Not necessary, but not a bad insurance.
Hey, I will use anything! I often cut clear plastic orange juice bottles to achieve the same effect.

svstee

OK, I got you now. I'll do that on my next one for sure.

Toney

Overall a really nice, useful looking multifx.

You reminded me of the GEOFX article on this. I  have to motivate and go to Bunnings (like Home Depot) and get some of that steel stud.
I have been promising myself forever that I would put all my fuzzes in one big long enclosure like that a Fuzzline!
Got get to that and my 'Boost selector'.
For some reason I always want to use an Arnie voice when I say "boooost selector"  ::)

svstee

Only problem with that is, IMHO, some fuzzes (FF) sound their very best at the front of your chain, and others (Jordan Bosstone) sound good with a boost or light OD in front. That's why I kept this one small, and used only effects I had tried in every possible order before. I have every one of these on my main board.

Taylor

Well, it's no trouble to put in and out jacks for each effect or the ones you want to be patchable, so you don't have to be locked into a particular order. You can also be clever and use switching jacks, so the order is preselected until you put cables into the jacks and reorder them. Some people even get very fancy with electronic order switching, but I'm not a fan of overcomplicated solutions - I think the simplest solution is the most reliable.

svstee

Yeah, I'm working on my own take of a modular pedalboard that has options for infinite variety but without patching or any electronic switching.

doc_drop

I used the patch bay technique myself on this 4 circuit box of amp tone. It works great! I like simple...

I can plug one into another, or all 4, in any order. I don't think I'll ever run out of things to try on it.